Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old people behind the wheel...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jakeslim, Mar 15, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

we all have seen them....running stop signs, stopping where there is no stop sign, changing lanes nearly sideswiping you, turning left in front of you because they did not know you had a green arrow,etc, etc, etc, etc.

When is old too old to drive? I understand rights, but dear god, people are getting killed including the drivers.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'd be more worried about teenage drivers...I agree that the elderly should take a test each year after a certain age but I see/read about much more fatal wrecks involving teens rather than old folks... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i suppose, but the problem is that no test covers the circumstances that all drivers face everyday. These "circumstances" require quick and decisive action on the driver's part. This is my concern. I'd swear I could make a video of this and sell a million copies for the shear comedy of it. But it is a problem that lawmakers understand, BUT WILL never touch due to the voting power that age group holds.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

True, but it would be very difficult and muy expensive to have a test that encompassed real world scenarios.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I think it is safe to say that there are drunk drivers* that drive better than some senior drivers. That scares me.

*Disclaimer: Under no conditions does this statement support, promote or justify drinking and driving. The poster shall take no "flame" or "fault" from such activities associated with such statement. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

old people driving scare me, little old ladies that drive while looking between the dash and the wheel, elderly people who swap lanes at will, not caring to look because "hey im gonna die soon anyway".. i say you should have to retest every year after age 65..

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When my grandma was 80 or so, she began to suffer from macular degeneration. While she still had some vision, she was legally blind. Well, when here DL expired, my mom had me take her to the DMV, and they renewed her license! I was like "WHAFUH??!"

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

OK, here's the deal, we just had here in the valley a few weeks ago, two different people, something like late 70's maybe early 80's, that either have or in the early stages of alzheimers disease, well they got in their cars and took off, the next they were on the news as missing elderly people, well, they were found, in different cities and didn't know where they were at or why they were there. My point is this, THEY SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING !!!

As far as i am concerned, that is a serious risk to other motorists and they should have their license taken away.

Just my opinion.

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

My 84 year old grandmother drives better than probably 80% of other people my age (20). I am amazed at how badly most of my friends drive. Swerving in and out of lanes, not stopping, going 40 over the speed limit in town, cutting off people when turning left at a light, passing on the right, etc. And the worst of it is that they see nothing wrong with it.

10. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

well old people should be tested yearly and have a physical from a doctor and all of it should be free to them! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've seen them pull some REALLY stupid moves. Even when I first got my license I wasn't as horrible a driver as old people.

I disagree.....old people shouldn't be driving if they can't demonstrate sufficient reflexes to drive with traffic.

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Ha! What is really bad is when you get behind an 80 year old lady driving and trying to figure out how to work her dad gummed, new fangled, cellular tellyphone. [/Croc Hunter voice/] Danger! Danger! Danger! [/Croc Hunter Voice/] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What I don,t understand is that it seems like around here you will see a 60# old bag of bones driving (or trying to)the biggest car they can get. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [/Croc Hunter voice/] Danger! Danger! Danger! [/Croc Hunter Voice/]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    When is old too old to drive?

[/ QUOTE ] Depends on the person. Some people are fine drivers well into thier 90's, where others shouldn't be alowed to drive ever !!!!!

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Danger! Danger! Danger! [/Croc Hunter Voice/]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ] [/Croc Hunter voice/] CRICKEYS [/Croc Hunter Voice/]

17. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

and a sign on top of their car that reads old people driving /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Haha, I love hearing my grandparents argue about the cell phone, then they always call me to see who was right /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How about this, couple months ago 3 of my buddies were riding in one of their lifted F150 stepside. Driving along doing the speed limit. 80 year old guy blows a stop sign. The truck nails him hard. Not sure if the old guy lived, but my friends were alright except for some bumps and bruises. Truck was totalled. There is now a light at the intersection but still, so what was it? Dangerous lifted truck? Crazy teen? Or old fart driving like an idiot? I get stuck behind old people all the time. Since I lost my license and got it back I am much calmer behind the wheel. I am fine with doing the speed limit all day long, but if someone goes under the limit I get very angry. I always get stuck behind people doing about 20 under the speed limit. Not to say such a thing is very dangerous but VERY aggravating. I have a short nasty temper and that gets right on it. I always seem to get behind them after a bad day at work on the one road around thats 45 and they do about 25. THen they hit the school zone, and even though its 6 o clock at night they slow down to 15. I always drop a gear and carry some RPMs when I'm behind those people. Dumping right out the cat they get the hint. Then they look angry at me cause I was mad at them.... [darn] people.... I am a people person.... really... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I get stuck behind old people all the time. Since I lost my license and got it back I am much calmer behind the wheel. I am fine with doing the speed limit all day long, but if someone goes under the limit I get very angry. I always get stuck behind people doing about 20 under the speed limit. Not to say such a thing is very dangerous but VERY aggravating. I have a short nasty temper and that gets right on it. I always seem to get behind them after a bad day at work on the one road around thats 45 and they do about 25. THen they hit the school zone, and even though its 6 o clock at night they slow down to 15. I always drop a gear and carry some RPMs when I'm behind those people. Dumping right out the cat they get the hint. Then they look angry at me cause I was mad at them.... [darn] people.... I am a people person.... really... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    i totally agree, santa barbara is a retiree town where all the old people have signs in their yard that say "slow down santa barbara" but everyone already drives 10 MPH under average, sometimes slower! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif