Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old question (springs/shocks) but NEED INPUT please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I just got approval from my second half to get the spring and shocks I want before Moab[​IMG] YES! [​IMG].
    I have an 87 K5, 350 w/6 leaf springs (not sure if they added any lift) 4" body lift (no, I'm not taking it off yet) 38.5 mudders and the fenders are cut out plenty, Ranco R7000 shocks and it rides like a ROCK! I'm not planning to do the big craw with it but want a soft enough ride on it to blaze down the trails without slapin my head against the window. I'd like to say I'd like to have the flex and ride like Baha or so. I also don't want to set it up then change it later and waste $$$$$$$
    Questions:
    Softride or Tough Country EZ???
    R9000 adjustable shocks? multi- shocks? (want the best)
    Tough Country- greaseable bushings, heavy shackles and stabilizer bushings w/quick disconnect?
    Add more travel but limit it for now so I don't have to change driveshafts now? (but later)
    Anyother things I should think about???
    And get it all ordered & installed before Moab on April12th????
    HELP ME OUT BOYS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<font color=red>Rid'in High In My K5[​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't have first hand experiance with Tough Country but I have heard their sping packs are super stiff. Especially the cheaper priced ones.
    I have SuperLift SuperRide Rear springs and my rig rides nice.
    I would suggest what ever company you decide that you ask to see what you are buying first. You want the spring packs to have two qualities: 1) The more leafs in the pack the better the ride 6 or more. 2) Teflon inserts betwen each leaf.
    Oh ya one more important thing that SuperLift offers LifeTime warrinty.
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would go wth BDS, Sky Jacker , or Superlift SUPER RIDE. Iknow two of those werent on your list but that is the order I would go in for ride and flex. RS 9000 shocks are a good idea WITH air compressor. You can tailor your ride on the fly. I run with some folks that only have a tank setup, no compressor yet, and its a pain if you run out of air to adjust. Plus your going to air up/down your tires to wheel at some point. The multi-shock setup is pretty trick looking. But if they're not setup right( one real others dummies or fractionally valved) or they can negate ride quality of springs. I have never had any experience with disconnect anything( to me seems like a weak link that we dont need). I have had greaseable bushings though and like them.

[​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, my personal experience is with the Tuff Country, anybody that has seen my pics or seen my rig on the trail will tell you that it FLEX's well. I have the 4" EZ ride on the front. Grim is running the Ranchos and I believe he is even of the opinion that the EZ rides flex better.

Ask Shawn about the BD suspension springs, he is running them. As far as the ride, its not just the springs and shocks, the shackle position also plays a big part of your ride. Let me see if I can explain this. If you were looking at the drivers side of your rig at the front springs, the top of the shackle should be more toward the front of the truck and the bottom more toward the rear, this makes for a better ride, the closer to straight up and down or bottom eye of shackle being closer to the front the stiffer the ride, the same goes for the rear shackle as well.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ fr8train... Those 3 in that order I believe. I'm planning on going w/ the BDS myself, but if you can't find a good deal on them... skyjacker softrides are a bit stiffer then the Superlift superrides, but they also are a more true lift (4" lift is 4".... where the superlift is more like 3 1/2 and settles even more.). The EZ-rides look like a great spring for flex, but from what I've heard they can really roll in turns(bodyroll kinda...), but I haven't ridden in one yet.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. CaptCrunch

I've heard the same thing about the shakles... Aren't the ORD HD frt shakles longer so you can achive this or can you change the angle w/ the stock ones by unbolting them and moving them?

[​IMG]

7. Storm Trooper

To The Top:
    Great Anwsers guys!
    It still seams like a spring fight though. The Shackels from Tuff County are longer also if you read about them, and it makes scents.
    I know that if I go with two flexy of spring that I will wear them out quicker but If you have good shocks to help prevent body roll, wouldn't you think you could get them to work together??????? Dam, I wish there was some serious Baha type off roaders on this page that could really give me the dail in with my truck. I'll be keepin it for a long time.[​IMG]
    NEED MORE INPUT!
    thanks again you guys

[​IMG]

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You can't change the angle of the shackles without changing the spring length unless you do some serious fabricating. For some more info, see this thread.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=106380&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1>http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=106380&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1</A>

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. Storm Trooper

Baddog, yeah I did look at your post and sounds like a good idea but don't the front shackles pivot & rub on the frame? or are the spaced out enough? Was the extra hole for a limiter pin/stop? I don't want that much acculation (spelling??) and would like to limit it without having the shocks take the beating. Any Ideas? Is it a dumb idea to think about a small shock in front of the shackle to slow the forward push?
    Do you think the spring rockers are nesc. if you don't need that much acculation? By the way thanks again for reminding me of your posts. Any part numbers except for the fabs?

[​IMG]

10. BadDog

Well, the pics you saw (if you followed the link) were for Donovan's ride (recently stolen). The shackles are longer but he says they still bump at full stuff. His were 6.75 center to center and he thinks 7.25 should be better. They do not rub the frame any more than the stocks would since the bushing spaces them out. The extra hole in Donovan’s shackles was for a brace he planned to add in order to increase stiffness and strength. I posted that thread just as an example of what others were talking about when they suggested making sure that the shackles were angled back for a better ride.

As far as limiting articulation to protect components, you do that with bump-stops to control stuffing and (usually) straps to control droop. You definitely do not want to use the shock for either! As far as the rockers, they are absolutely NOT necessary. The only benefit would be to relieve spring/axle bind when you have MAJOR articulation and want more. For normal amounts of flex the spring and bushing will allow enough twist. This is one place where a rubber bushing generally out performs the neoprene bushings, which will not allow as much flex.

I don’t think the extra shock will be necessary although some people do add an extra shock angled back from the axle at about 45 degrees to help limit the affect of impacts driving the axle back and up (mostly for jumping and faster running I think).

I’m considering a similar setup now for my new rig (when I get that far). Bottom line is you need shackles that are longer (approx. 7.25”) and a longer main leaf (Donovan used a Wrangler I think). That and a set of properly positioned bump stops (lowered) with shocks that are long enough should do well. At least I hope so since that is what I am considering. I want good articulation so I will probably also install the F250 shock mounts too. I may even try the spring rockers eventually but I want to do things incrementally so I can see exactly what is what.

Bad Dog

11. Storm Trooper

I appreciate the input baddog,
    I did check out the pictures of Donovans ride etc.
    No one probaly makes the 7.25" so custom make them?
    I still haven't had a good response on the springs but Shawn
    e-mailed me tonight and said he likes his BDS but would have gone with Alcan if he could have and RS9012 shocks.
    I'm sorry and hate to say it but what does BDS stand for and does anyone in CO. know where I can get them or mail order? I haven't heard of Alcan, anyone else heard of them??
    I'm running out of time but if I can't get it figured out in time for Moab, I guess I'll wait. Don't want to slap just anything on.
    I think I can get a neck brace for cheap[​IMG].
    I assume the shocks Shawn is talking about are Rancho. I'll need to go on there web page and look them up. Thanks Baddog, Any other ideas out there???????????????

[​IMG]

12. BadDog

BDS was originally "Big Dick's Suspension". I like the original name. [​IMG] Here is their site, you can call them or look at their local supplier locator.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bds-suspension.com/>http://www.bds-suspension.com/</A>
    I don't know anything about Alcan and I don't know of any source for 7.25 shackles so you would probably have to make them or have someone make them for you.

Bad Dog

13. CaptCrunch

I believe Alcan is in Colorado springs... but they make custum springs... I think steve may be running them, but not positive. They are a custom made spring... they don't deal w/ anything but the springs and they quoted me about $200 a spring. A touch spendy in my mind. You can find the closest dealer to you on the BDS site and they can ship them to you if it is too far.

[​IMG]

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll find Alcan in Grand Junction, Colorado, not Colorado Springs. They make some nice stuff, but be ready for sticker shock.... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>