Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old radio in a 87k5

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bamf, Jan 28, 2006.

1. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

Trying to take out my old radio in my k5? now the question is how?

lol took off dash and dash bazel? but cant figure out what else to take off now.

please help.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Is it the factory style radio that has to have the radio come out thru the backside and under the dash? Also, check on the backside of the radio to see if there is any strapping to help support the back end of the radio. On the front side, there are usually nuts holding the radio to the steel dash structure on the 2 turn dial knob shafts.

3. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

yes its the factory radio. I un bolted the support bracket. But now how the hell does it come out? Do i have to take the air ducts out? under the metal frame?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If the air ducts are in your way of getting the radio out, then yeah. Unless you can move/twist/whatever the duct out of the way enough to get it out. But you have to take it out thru the back, then out from underneigh.

5. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

thats some bull**** lol oh well ill firgure it out sometime today

6. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

woot got that SOB out. now this guy that had the blazer before me had a after market radio in it but he never took out the old radio. and he took the after market radio with him. so now im trying to figure out where the hell all of these wires goto. i have a **** load. Lets see so far i have found a rocker switch, 3 toggles, and a few other lose end wires that ran together from the group of wires that he had connected together. WISH ME luck

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If the wireing is a mess, I highly recomend capping them all off and run new wires. It's not hard, and takes the worries of a wire fire out of the equation.

8. bamf

bamf 1/2 ton status

the wiring is pretty bad just got back from cleaning house. I only cut wires out that I knew where with the stero. I did find the factory harness and i left that crap alone. dont know if its any good since I dont have any speakers. hell i dont even have a radio. I do have a nefty place to install it once i get it.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I ran into something like this when I bought my '85. The PO hadn't really done anything good or bad (or anything at all except own it for 4 months) to the truck, but the guy that owned it before him was a real "Harry Half-ass" when it came to wiring.

The wiring under the hood was functional, but haphazardly arranged. Oil pressure sending unit wire pinched under the head of a bellhousing bolt, things like that.

Anyway, to the stereo wiring. There had been a generic DIN head unit in the thing when the PO bought it, but he said that the stereo wiring was so FUBARed that he gave up and just used a boombox (he barely drove it anyway). I got under the dash and FUBARed was an understatement. Those inexpensive plug adapters you can buy, so that you don't have to cut the factory wiring, were unknown to the guy that messed all this up, so he cut the factory plugs off and put various colored wires on the freshly cut leads.

I really hate half-assed projects that would have been better if they'd never been started. If they couldn't afford to to it right, they should have just left it alone (like the last owner wisely did) until they had the money.

I'm not even going to mess with that electrical disaster. I'm replacing the cracked dash pad anyway, so I'll just put in a new pair of 3-1/2 speakers and run new wiring from those to the head unit area at that time, as well as new power and ground leads. I'll find the ignition and illumination leads, and use the ignition lead to just pick a power relay for the stereo hot lead.

I'll be running a thicker hot lead to the powered sub anyway; nothing special, probably a Kenwood KSC-SW1 for it's nice, small size. I'll worry about doing something with rear speakers later.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With a nightmare like that, I'd cap off each wire (For fire prevention safty) and start from scratch and run all new wires.