Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old school ORD Jimmy Pic

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by PJTPW, Dec 11, 2003.

1. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Hey Stephen,

I ran across this shot of your GMC in an old 4x4 Power mag. I'm sure you've seen it, but thought others might like to see what it looked like in the early stages.

Ryan

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Looks nothing like that now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Nice build up on the Dodge Ryan. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How is that front driveshaft holding up with the cases stuffed way up? Did you grind anything off of the CV for more travel?

4. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

I didn't have to grind anything because they're 42 degree CVs : )

The front and rear are identical and interchange. The t-cases are only raised about 2.25 inches. It looks like a lot more, but that's it. The Doubler has 2" of rotation on it. I raised them up so I could pick up a lot more break over with my two-piece rear shaft. The frame slopes up to about 32" of clearance beginning right before the mid point between my axles.

I went with the 42* units because eventually all this will end up in a tube frame truggy with coilovers. A 32* unit wasn't going to give me enough down travel.

Ryan

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ryan Melton, Moab Utah. I take it you got the job, CONGRATS!

That's from the centerfold feature in 4x4 power in what, 1997? That was a fun truck too, I think I liked it the most with the custom springs, bilsteins and 37" MTR's. But it had to start somewhere. Not like it was helpless when we did the feature article either.

6. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryan Melton, Moab Utah. I take it you got the job, CONGRATS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Yep got the job. Truck is almost trail worthy too.

I believe that was in 1997. I went through 10 yrs worth of 4x magazines when I moved.

Ryan

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That's from the centerfold feature in 4x4 power in what, 1997? That was a fun truck too, I think I liked it the most with the custom springs, bilsteins and 37" MTR's. But it had to start somewhere. Not like it was helpless when we did the feature article either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could have left it alone and used it as a daily driver and gotten another K5 to use as the test rig for the ORD parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Could have left it alone and used it as a daily driver and gotten another K5 to use as the test rig for the ORD parts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why, he has a Suburban for a daily driver that's more practical for a family. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Could have left it alone and used it as a daily driver and gotten another K5 to use as the test rig for the ORD parts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why, he has a Suburban for a daily driver that's more practical for a family. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, very true. But why not another rig while keeping the Sub and Wally original so he can have the Jimmy as a DD, the Sub as the family DD, and Wally as the play toy.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm trying to avoid having a fleet. So I'm in the process of convincing my wife that she should drive the suburban, then I can drive my crewcab and have wally for a toy too. I'm not sure she's going to go for it, she seems to like the 30mpg car. At least till it snows, then the 'burb is OK.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Steve...the day i handed over the keys to the 90 Burb we bought this year...was the last time i got to drive it...lol. Wife loves the burb...its her taxi of sorts...lol.

Love the old school shiot though.

DW

12. DaHateTank

DaHateTank Registered Member

Holy ****!!!! Thats some majorly cool buildup action ya got goin' on there PJTPW!!! Im sort of a Mopar geek, myself, and have been thinkin' 'bout building a Dodge for a more serious trail vehicle... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

(parts gettin' scarce and $$$ for the old ('72) first gen /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, around here.) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

been looking for some 'serious' info on those things, and hadn't found anything yet...

Yours looks like about exactly what I had in mind, albeit a bit more radically suspended...will be reading your posts on pirate4X4 with interest!!

As for this pic of Steven's GMC, its pretty amazin' how things change, eh??

-Marty

13. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Holy ****!!!! Thats some majorly cool buildup action ya got goin' on there PJTPW!!! Im sort of a Mopar geek, myself, and have been thinkin' 'bout building a Dodge for a more serious trail vehicle...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Unless you're really set on a Dodge, I'd get a 2nd Gen Chevy. You can buy everything you need from ORD to get it going. If I had a Chevy I'd be wheeling right now instead of still being a couple of weeks out on it really being wheelable.

That being said, I could build another one like mine in a month since everything has been worked out. If you get a Dodge feel free to PM me on Pirate if you need help with anything.
    Ryan