Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old School--Warn winch experts??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 19, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, I have an old A$$ warn 8k winch with the hand brake and in/out/neutral lever on it. I got it for free from my Dad and I cleaned it up and bought some cables and a starter switch which I am going to splice into a small trailer light plug. I also bought some synthetic winch rope 5/16 100'.

Now next week I am going to build my bumpers and install the winch. Installation is no problem. It's the actual winching that is worrying me.

I rode a long with my buds this weekend on a wheelin trip and they all have newer model winches which you can just spool in and out with the flip of a switch. On mine you have to slap a lever on the side of the winch that will enage a pull/push or neutral. Also it has a hand brake on it. Here is the best picture I have.
    [​IMG]

How am I going to operate this winch, am I pretty much just stuck with emergency pulls by myself?

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have searched the web and really can't find any info on how to operate these in a rock crawling environment.....am I screwed or what?

Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

That would be the venerable Warn 8274. It looks (at least from that picture) like it's missing the solenoid pack.

Info on how to recondition & wire it can be found here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

Good grab. To get a new one of those you'd be looking at over $1300 :) I scored mine for $75 w/ no motor, spent $159 for a motor and another $70 in goodies for it (hook, bearing, wires, etc) and it works slick as sh*t.

-Mike

3. ctblazer89

ctblazer89 Newbie

If you have any NAPA that deals with Warn anything, you can take and get parts liike crazy for those, if im not mistaken, i think a solonoid(sp) pack is around $115. if you get me the model # i might be able to get something!

4. stallion85

It's not a 8274 :crazy: I wish it was :o

My friend has one and it is definetly the older version of one though. It has a hand brake and and a switch/lever thingy on the side which controls the in/out/neutral.

How in the heck do I winch with this thing?

5. stallion85

Heres a close up on the model#

[​IMG]

6. ctblazer89

ctblazer89 Newbie

ok word, ill look that up when i go to work later!

7. stallion85

After some searching I found the exact same winch as mine, seems to be a belleview series Warn. I do not have the in dash cables that are shown on this link, but it is the same winch Looky

Now, question? What do I need the brake for? When it is pulling will it let out the line when I stop pulling?

8. stallion85

Oh ya and I am pretty darned sure it had a power out and in??

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Yes, when you stop pulling the line in, the load will try to pull the line out,
    thats what the break is for. There is three terminals on the motor, but
    I don't think there is power out, you must shift into netrol and pull the line out.
    Its kinda old fashion, but if you have a good working breck, and the three
    cables that it come with, and they are adjusted propery, you can pull
    you vheicle up(with power), set the breck, shift to nuterl, and then
    slowly relase the breck and let vhecle down.

10. stallion85

Awesome, just what I was looking for! I guess I could find something to use for the break lever that would work. Hmm, anyone have a suggestion?

11. stallion85

Any takers on what to use for a in cab hand brake lever for the winch?

It used to be my Father in laws and he just used it to pull his K5 out of the mud so he never worried about it coasting backwards :doah:

I wish I had a some dough for a new 8274 Winch :o

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Well I guess I learned something today :D

13. stallion85

Me too :D

I should have bought my friends 8274 a year ago for $400 :doah:

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Maybe a hand brake in cab lever like out of a toyota pickup?

You have one of Warn BETTER winches, those old 8000's were WAY under-rated. It will actually pull more than a 15K winch on a single line.

15. stallion85

Well that is some good news :D

I am sure I could find something to work. I just need to get that darned thing mounted with my new bling synthetic blue rope :D

16. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've got one of those on my 72. I've also got the in cab controls like in the link you posted. My dad and I use to pull trees out with it for many years, so it's very durable. As already stated, it only has power in. You put it in nuetral and it freewheels out. I find the brake to be very touchy on mine when you try to let it out under load. Also I think the brake handle is made from aluminum. The handle on mine broke, probably from too many years of abuse, so my dad had to make one out of steel. The clutch is also hard to engage/disengage at times. I found that running the winch and then trying to operate the clutch gets it to pop in or out. I'm sure that it's due to lack of maintenance though.

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Hummm, so thats why mine pulled so hard. I remember pulling two stuck blazers at the same time, and my 73 blazer only have one battery, and one
    43 amp alt. Those were some heavy duty winches, I wounder if the repalcment 8274 is up too the TASK.

18. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree... I have one on my wheeling rig. Two of us were winching a 4 door powerstroke up a snowy hill side a couple of years ago. The 12K warn winch that had started winching him up was stalling out so I went down to help and hooked on ...The warn/belview was pulling so much faster that the 12K warn had slack in the cable most of the time...even unloaded its line speed was slower than mine loaded.

They are great winches :D

19. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The newer 8274's are strong yes, that is the only winch I've ever owned and I've had 3 of them so far. But they are not as strong as those older first design ones that he has.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've had the latest version, the M8274-50, for almost 5 yrs. Very fast, pulls my 6k lb but no problem. It out performs my Warn XD9000 by a wide margin.

Good to see you post again Executioner.