Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old Style AC compressor replacement parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

In my 83 burb, I have the old huge AC compressor (harrison?). I bought it from the PO, he said it needs a belt. (which means, the compressor isnt working usually!)

So I hook up a belt. There seems to still be some pressure within the system. I see the clutch kinda free wheeling,even without the AC being active. So then I jump the connector on the condenser switch. (now that I think about it, I jumped the condenser, not the switch! lol)

but it seems the clutch is producing heat. I think I need to replace the clutch. Any ideas on where I can still get parts for that unit? or should I just get a whole new unit?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too bad...

Darn!---I just scrapped a "long" compressor from the 73 307 I put in my van--it worked great too,but had sat awhile,and I had no use for it anymore(none of my GM trucks had AC)...I would have given it to you,had I known someone needed it...too late dammit!.. :mad:

I think its better off to get the whole compressor-- if the clutch needs replacing,the whole unit has likely seen better days,-and it might be the compressor starting to seize up thats making the clutch slip and heat up.....
    I'd look for a good one at a boneyard that still has a working A/C system,or at least still had pressure and freon in the lines..its not hard to swap the whole unit out,but you need special pullers and tools to replace just the clutch on one... :crazy:

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

DOH!!!!!!!. This new BB just doesnt have the proper expression I need. :(

If you see one in a yard, let me know- Cause yards here dont have such items.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am guessing you have an old "A6" A/C compressor. You can still get parts for it, but you will need a special puller tool (for A6 compressors only) to get the pulley off, and then get to the clutch and bearing. You should probably just buy a rebuilt one. Most every auto parts store carries them.