Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

old style alt. to new style cs140????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kustom71, Aug 29, 2003.

1. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

has anyone replaced there old alt. with the new style and if you did what did you have to do to the wiring harness???I know the charge wire has to be changed but i mean the harness itself?
    Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

they make an adapter plug that has to come from gm it is Part #12083462 that is the adapter plug cost me like $23 not to hijack your post but do I need to replace the charge wire or just the end on it to a bigger eye.....Jason

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I got the new plug from Truck Shop and the connector for the external regulator...put a 96 amp unit on... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What 82k5Blazer said. GMPartsDirect has them for like $19, got mine from the local dealer, same price. My alternator is for a '94 Pontiax Transport Van. It's not hooked up right now. I have to have some custom A/C lines made for peace of mind due to the rotor size of the alternator, and had to custom build an extension onto the alternator bracket. And Of course the battery to alt. wire needs to be changed out for a larger eye/wire. The alt. is a 140 amp. unit.

5. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

from everything i read u have to change the charge wire to like an 8 gauge wire to handle the amps that it will put out!!!!!!!!oh!and thanks for the part # /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifwhat he said /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif