Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Old truck blues...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rjfguitar, Mar 24, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone else ever get the blues because you are driving around an older vehicle? I don't mean a full on wheeler but something that is fixed up half way that is your main transportation. Ever wonder why you are spending so much on an older truck when you could have put all that towards something a lot newer and nicer?

After dumping around $17K in my 85K5 I am seriously double thinking what I am doing and am wondering if it was the right thing to do. I ask myself all the time " how much longer do I wan't to drive my K5?" and "if I spend more money on it will I be happy with it or regret not putting that cash towards something new?" From the day I bought my K5 up until about 6 months ago I have wanted to totally restore my K5 and make it better than new but what will I have after probably $25K invested? An old truck with a rebuilt drivetrain, new paint, and new interior...it's still an 85', it still gets 9mpg average, and still rides like an empty dump truck.......or is it an awesome classic worth the cash to restore it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I make decent money and am in a financial position to afford a newer vehicle. I am considering a:
    late 90's 2 door tahoe(blazer) 8" lift all chromed and powder coated on 33's or 35's with a whipple supercharger.

A barely used 2004 crew cab long bed duramax chevy HD 1 ton SRW. 12" lift chromed and powder coated on 38's. (most expensive route)

97-98' dodge 3/4 or 1 ton ext. cab long bed with the cummins 12 valve with the same lift/tires as the chevy 1 ton.(I LOVE the idea of monster diesel power from the cummins)

00-02' SS camaro.

So what do you guys think? You ever consider buying a newer rig and putting the K5 on the back burner? Which vehicle do you think I should go with? Just thinking about a lot of things right now money wise.

Sorry for the length. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Oh and don't worry, I won't be selling the K5 regardless my decisions. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

camaro! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

early 90's vette....

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check to see how much the insurance with go up with each vehicle...expecially the SS...

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my attitude switches from time to time

when im around other guys with older trucks, im like bling bling i got the phat ride

when im around mercedes and stuff i go into "well i wheel mine" mode

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    my attitude switches from time to time

when im around other guys with older trucks, im like bling bling i got the phat ride

when im around mercedes and stuff i go into "well i wheel mine" mode

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here! I am in a good size truck club here locally and almost all of the members have newish cummins dodges making crazy power, Ford powerstrokes , and Z71/HD GM trucks. They are all clean rigs with everything powder coated and chromed. Then I show up with an 85' blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So you guys think the camaro? The corvette is out of the question. I am worried about what my insurance would be with the camaro though. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I am leaning towards the tahoe or D-max HD. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

dude, I hear ya...

look at it this way, at least yu didn't build a purdy truck, and then completely tear it up, take everything you purchased and deam it usless. I spent quite a bit more than your tally over the last 3 years, and what do I have to say about it?

.....CHICKS DIG BODY DAMAGE.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Seriously though, I learned an awful lot, if the 83 had not been wrecked it would have become another purdy blazer. I still plan to get another one as well. You live in CA, so I imagin th mindset is different over there, but I get a great feeling every time I get a smile or a thumbs up. Girls seem to like a big beastly truck, I have givin rides even to kristians aunt, 60+ years old, as well as alot of kids on my street, they all love it, I also am stopped all the time and asked about it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Take your top off and get a wicked paint job, then who gets the attention? A bunch of look alike super poopers, or your chevy?

New tucks are nice, but anybody who is willing to finance can have one /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

another note...

why does your truck ride so bad?

With the bds springs in the front and shackle flip in back mine rides alot nicer than my moms suburban, well that was before I wheeled the pee out of her, but ya get the point.

-shawn

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel man I dont plan on my Jimmy being my DD when I get out of college. Id get a nice Heavy Duty and leave it alone- dont put that lift crap on there, youll be in the same position that you are now...Get it leave it alone and have a NICE DD that is civilized and not a chore to drive or get in and out of etc. I know I sound like an old man but sometimes I wish I had a plain old vehicle so I could just sit back and drive.....

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else ever get the blues because you are driving around an older vehicle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I have working a/c and power windows and locks. My top comes off. I have a straight front axle. The only thing I envy on the "NEW" trucks is they have injection and good window rubber/fuzzies. And I WILL have that soon enough /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not me. I love getting in the K5 and driving arround in it. I pull up next to nice cars and just think to myself that i know they wont be in anywhere near the shape my K5 is in when they hit 215,000 miles. I still get compliments on it, mostly becuase arround here, they salt the roads, alot. Most older trucks are rusting out. Like my toyota is.

The only thing i still dont get, is if your going to DD, why build a rediculous show truck. Like it has been said, you will be in the same position you are now. Just keep the K5 that you already have money sunk into, and restore it. New vehicles are over rated. But i do have a question, why does your K5 ride so bad? Do you have 20 chrome shocks on it or something?

11. rjfguitar

I have a great A/C with all the bells and whistles too but sometimes I would prefer something newer. I like show trucks and would love to have a newer one that looks really good. I wouldn't be in the same position now with a new truck because I wouldn't mess with the drivetrain much and if something went wrong with it....it would be back at the dealership under warranty. Having a lift/wheels and tires is not what bothers me and couldn't imagine driving a 4x4 without it lifted some.

My K5 rides rough because I have Pro Crap springs with boggers that don't give in the sidewalls but that isn't what bothers me a lot though either. I don't have 20 chrome shocks...if I finish my K5 I will have 10. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I think I may just finish my blazer because I don't have far to go, just get it painted, new carpet, seats, interior 3d flames, guages, all the int. & ext. trim, get shocks chromed, maybe gears, and some other small stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]I think I may just finish my blazer because I don't have far to go, just get it painted, new carpet, seats, interior 3d flames, guages, all the int. & ext. trim, get shocks chromed, maybe gears, and some other small stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]........WHAT????? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifi cant beleive it......dont you dare give up on the blazer,that would not be practical.You have one of the baddest trucks around dude!!!!I cant beleive im hearing this,you would miss it if ya sold it anyway.Why dont ya get an 86 buick like us???? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifIf you want fuel economy??? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifWho cares what other people think about your truck,as long as you like it.Dont end up like"the norm" man,and get a "new" overpriced peice of crap...... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gifMabey buy a cheap truck to get ya aroung until you can finish it???I would hate to see the truck we love so much just go away for some reason.........Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifHang in there bobby!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

go with the crewcab /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif . if i had saved all the moneys i put into my 79 k20-30 i could be driving one myself /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and not spending so much time working and buying stuff for it.

14. rjfguitar

Relax Jake, I won't be selling my blazer...probably ever. I just am thinking about getting a different truck that is newer, nicer, and doesn't have any problems that would look good lifted. That way I can concentrate on making my k5 more of a "weekend warrior" toy.

I talked to my dad about it and he might help me finance a newer 2 door tahoe(blazer) late this fall after my prime money making months.

I'm thinking a red 99' 2 door tahoe...
    Billet grille, bumper...
    whipple supercharger, headers, flowmasters, K&N intake. Should be good for 400HP no prob. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Late model 4.56 geared 14BFF with the aftermarket 6 lug hubs and disks. 8" whiplash kit powder coated red ....33x14.50 SSR's, 15x12 or 14" welds.
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3/4 ton 99' blazer tahoe & my 3/4ton 85' blazer.

OK, I'll quit thinking aloud... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    go with the crewcab /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif . if i had saved all the moneys i put into my 79 k20-30 i could be driving one myself /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and not spending so much time working and buying stuff for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is exactly what I am thinking as far as my money and time I spend wrenching trying to keep it moving, not mods.

16. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

why do you want an 8" for only 33s? you can clear 33s with a 4" lift. just so you know. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i like k5's cause you can clear 33's with no lift

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    why do you want an 8" for only 33s? you can clear 33s with a 4" lift. just so you know. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Because it looks better, not with a 33x12.50 mud rover or something but with an agressive tire like a 33x15.50 SX. It looks better with getting them out of the fenders a little IMHO, thats the trend these days around here. Also remember the later fenderwells are shaped differently. I could clear 33x15.50's with a 6" (4" won't do it, they are too wide)but what would be the fun in that? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It would only be for looks because I wouldn't wheel something nice like that. I have 2 ATV's, 4 snowmobiles, and a boat to do offroading with and still the K5 if a mud pit calls to me.

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i like k5's cause you can clear 33's with no lift

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...

20. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

My buddy has 35x14.5's on his 95 chevy, with only 3" of lift. All he had to trim was a little corner off of the front bumper. And that looks way better than the 2 door purple/green tahoe that runs arround town with 9" total lift and 33's. That tahoe just looks plain stupid. Looks even dumber when he puts his winter 31's back on it with stock rims.