Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

older headers and c02 sensor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3rdshiftdesign, Jun 28, 2005.

1. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I'm going to put some headers I have from my carb'd blazer onto my 89 TBI -- along with the exhaust (dual flowmasters)- do i have to tap into the exhaust for the c02 sensor?

thanks.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yes the O2 sensor must be in the exhaust stream. Its detecting oxygen in the exhaust. Summit and others sell "bungs" that you can weld onto your exhaust(after drilling a hole) for an O2 sensor. Placing it in the collector of the header is a good idea(as close to the heat as you can get it).

3. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

Spark plug thread chasers work also, most parts stores keep these. Then just cut the hole and weld it in, then screw the o2 sensor right in.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have you done this before? What I'm picturing in my head, an O2 sensor is larger then a spark plug. Maybe I'm picturing it wrong(scale wise). What I did on my 89 Burban was I cut the stock threaded bung out of the Y pipe, then I cut the same square hole in my header collector, I then installed an O2 sensor in the fitting(helps to prevent it from warping, and welded it to the collector. Worked great. Getting a new bung would have been easier though.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

O2 sensors have a fine thread end. I went to the local hardware and took my sensor with me. Bought a nut that fit which was about 1" thick. Then put it in the chop saw and cut 1/3 of it off. Thats the end I used. Drilled a hole in the collector, then welded the nut on leaving the uncut side of the nut outward and the cut side to the collector. The reason I cut it was because the uncut nut was about the same thickness as the sensor. This way the sensor was exposed into the collector. Hope this helps or makes sense. :xmas:

6. 3rdshiftdesign

Yes, it makes sense. I appreciate the replies and any other additional options would be appreciated as well.

I will let you know how it goes when I start this project this week.

Thanks again.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

non foulers work..

GM O2 sensors have the same 14MM thread as a sparkplug....I've welded a spark plug non-fouler into headers to allow the O2 sensor to be used--had to drill the center hole bigger,and cut off the threaded portion that normally screwed into the cylinder head....they sell O2 sensor "bungs" at speed shops too...but they were closed on sunday!... :laugh:

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

M18x1.5 jam nut will work too.

9. 3rdshiftdesign

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

11. 3rdshiftdesign

Thanks,

I got the non-fouler and will modify it to fit the header tomorrow or saturday. Just don't feel like waiting for someone on ebay to ship me something... Hopefully get this exhaust thing settled by the end of the weekend.