Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

older manual tranny harder to drive?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by InSearchofAk5, Aug 22, 2001.

1. InSearchofAk5

InSearchofAk5 Registered Member

Would it be harder to drive an 87 blazer w/ an sm 465 than say a 93 Z71 w/ stick shift?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The older trannys aren't as smooth. I think '87 did have a hydraulic clutch, though.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The hydraulic clutch makes a world of difference. My 81 has the caveman clutch and it can be a pain to drive in traffic. I've driven a newer K5 with the hydraulic clutch and it was very nice...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Compared to most modern transmissions, the SM465 is a high inertia unit. It shifts slowly and with heavy stick pressure. It is smoothest when you double clutch it. It is also a very wide ratio tranny compared to the newer units that don't have the deep reduction first gear. Personally, I love it for the durability and granny first, but I know people that hate to drive them on the road for these reasons.

6. InSearchofAk5

InSearchofAk5 Registered Member

What do you mean granny first? The (numerically) higher gearing? 6.55 i think?

7. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Yep. What I meant, is that some people find the big steps between second to third and third to fourth to be awkward on the highway. Also, the 465 shifts relatively slowly. I'm not complaining, I have two trucks with them and they are my preference overall.

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

life is full of compromises....usually the tougher the tranny the harder it is going to shift.
    even though the 465 rattles, has long throws, takes time to shift and does not have overdrive, i still love it. it take practically take all the abuse you can dish out. and this is in stock form.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com