Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Olds 455 to SM465 trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blasphemous, Mar 14, 2007.

1. blasphemous

blasphemous 1/2 ton status

Ok, if anyone read my Isuzu diesel thread... that's a no go now. Check it out if you want to know the story. Anyway, back to my original plan and finish building the Olds 455 I have in the garage. Now, a roadblock I have is how to mate the 455 to the SM465 I have?
    I've looked at some Olds bellhousings, but they don't look like they have the right bolt pattern? Am I going to have to use a Chevy bellhousing and use an adapter to mate the bellhousing to the block?

2. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Same problem as the caddy guys have, except you may be able to find a flywheel to fit your oldy.

3. blasphemous

From what I can tell; I should be able to run the Olds flywheel, an Olds clutch kit and Chevy bellhousing w/ adapter. The Olds clutch kit is 10-spline like my clutch kit, so they should play well together.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can go the route you stated above or use a lakewood bellhousing for BOPC to eliminate the adapter but you have to have it machined to fit over the 465 bearing retainer. Its bigger by about an inch than the most of the other GM manual trans input retainers. You may also need to have your crankshaft drilled to keep the input shaft from bottoming out against it.

5. blasphemous

Drilled out MORE than a regular manual crank?

6. wombat

wombat Registered Member

Why not go with a sbc for the swap? would't that be easier?

If your still looking for a k5 frame I have one near elizabethtown I could get rid of, let me know if your interested, by e-mail.wombat200x@yahoo.com

7. blasphemous

I already have the 455 and alot of extra parts for it. All I need done is the machine work and clutch setup/trans mounted and it's finished.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I was thinking caddy. No drilling needed for the Olds Rocket:D

Found a part # while I was at it. Trans-adapt PN 0061 BOPC engine to chevy SM 465 bellhousing. The adapter is 1/8" thick and may require an adjustable clutch fork pivot ball with stock clutch fork.

I have the specs and part #'s for using a Lakewood bellhousing if you don't want to go with the adapter.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the Olds diesel trucks were equipped with the 465, you'd have a bellhousing right there if you can find it. :)

I've never seen anything one way or another as to whether the Olds diesels could be had with the 465.

10. blasphemous

I've never heard of it, therefore they don't exist, lol. Seriuosly though, I've never heard of a bellhousing for an Olds motor and a 465 tranny. I'll probably go with the 1/8 adapter. However, where can I find all the parts to make it work? I'll probably be starting w/ a bare bellhousing. I'll need a clutch fork, boot, adjustable clutch fork pivot ball... anything else?

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, but the Olds 455 would be way cooler. Relatively small bore and long long stroke = torque. I've always thought it would be fun to do with a fullsize wheeler. :saweet:

12. blasphemous

It's actually going to be a 468 :bow: by the time it's bored out. My dyno-sim software puts the HP/TQ numbers somewhere around 450hp and 500+tq.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The Chevy B/H will bolt to the lower 4 bolts of the Olds block & the dowel pins are in the correct location. It's the upper two Olds bolts that are hangin in the breeze. If you at using an old scattershield for the b/h (what I'd recommend) you can fab some tabs for those bolts & weld them on. It probably won't pass NHRA Safety Tech, but I did exactly this to a scattershield used in a dyno application. I did use a TIG and V'd out the the parts for max penetration, and then ground the block side flat.

Nearly any small machine shop can handle the boring of the pilot diameter. It would help them immensely if you brought in a b/h intended for the 465 as then they can measure the hole size exactly.

14. blasphemous

I may do that, but with an aluminum bellhousing. I can't tig weld, but I know someone who can and has a welder. I'll have some aluminum tabs made up and have him weld them to the BH. I won't be running this thing in NHRA anyway:haha: