Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Olds 455

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ABO, Jan 2, 2002.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Does anyone know of any high performance olds companys out there other than Mondello? I'm gonna start buying parts for the engine and am trying to cut some corners. Also, I'm not sure that what I want to do is the best for the money, any suggestions on getting some good hp for the money? Thanks

<font color=green> ABO </font color=green>
    <font color=red> 88 K5<font color=blue>----</font color=blue>on 35's </font color=red>

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm not anti-olds or anything, but why did you choose a 455 olds? If it's an olds car and you want to stay with the olds engine it's an expensive route. a friend of mine has a '79 trans-am which came with the olds 403, he has been working with it for 3 years now, the olds engines will run well, but you have to spend alot more to do it, and they don't hold together as well as the chevy's do. he has tried a 350, 403 and 455. if you want to run a stock type motor with lots of torque the 455 is great, they can even be had cheaper than a big block chevy in many cases. if you plan on building it up to get a lot of power it's a different story. the parts supply is very limited and very expensive, unless you really want that olds V8, a chevy will give you more for less.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I disagree on the BOP motors not holding up a well as chevy motors. Actually most BOP motors last longer than the chevy big blocks. I am a diehard pontic man. I would put a pontiac 455 in something before a chevy 454. The design is better, and puts out way more torque than the BBC. And as for the olds 455s all connecting rods are forged, and most have nodular cranks. Not the case for chevy :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. ABO

ABO Registered Member

I'm going to put into my 72 cutlass so I wanted to stay with an olds engine, plus it's an eaiser swap. As for not being as powerfull and lasting, having 370hp and 500ft lbs of tork stock is just disgusting. The nickle content in these blocks were higher so boreing out and machining were no problem. I read an artical about an older olds 350 being bored out to a 440, now that takes some balls. Desert, I almost bought a 1969 GTO w/ a 455 the guy put in. He said he got it out of a 1970 ambluance or something, supposed to have like 530ft lbs. It was nice but I've always liked olds.

<font color=green> ABO </font color=green>
    <font color=red> 88 K5<font color=blue>----</font color=blue>on 35's </font color=red>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am a pontiac fan, but am probably getting a jet boat with a olds 455. I will use it for a while until I get everything I need for a pontiac motor to swap in its place. I was thinking of putting the olds motor in the burb.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>