Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

omg!broken main cap bolt!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by only 31s, Apr 4, 2007.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

damn ap store loaner tool!! ok guys ,tell me that i can get away with a missing bolt[now i have a 3 bolt main] it was the inner cap bolt on :( a main.book said to torque to 80 but it failed at 75 any thoughts? its in a tough spot to drill it out -am i out of luck?:doah:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Please don't let it ride , your motor may not live long .

Have you taken the cap back off ? Any bit of bolt sticking out ? Did you use used bolts , which take a lower torque than new ones ?

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Definately replace the broken bolt, I would not trust my motor to survive with a bolt missing out of the main. Try to get it out, remove cap and use vise grips to get it out if you can. The bolt should come out fairly easily as it broke as a result of overtorque for the bolt, meaning the bolt did not bottom out in the block. Also, did you use antisieze or oil with the bolt, doing so will decrease the friction within the threads causing more stress versus a dry bolt. I believe those specs are for dry installation, lower the torque spec if using lubricant. ARP bolts have a guide showing what percentage to lower torque when using oil, antisieze, etc.

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

If it broke while tightening you should be able to back it out without drilling. They usually break at the thread/shank interface, so there should still be some bolt sticking out.

If it broke flush and there is nothing to grab onto you will have to use an easy-out.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

With bolts that are not "stuck" in the threads I have actually used a mechanics pick and picked at the bolt and backed it all the way out. But of course if its stuck in there time to bust out the easy outs.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Along those lines, an automatic center punch can work wonders if it is broken off flush. Centerpunch a hole near the edge of the bolt and then use that crater to centerpunch the broken bolt (edit: counter)clockwise.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fixed it for ya. :thumb:

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

CRAP!!! Thanks bro, noob mistake!:doah: