Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OMG! crooked body **DAY THREE RECOVERY**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Jul 18, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I did something I thought wouldn't be a problem today... I drove thru a concrete drainage ditch that is about 16" deep, and 6' across. I got thru it NO PROBLEM. I did wack the gas tank shield a bit.. and also hit the rear pass shackle a bit too... that is a little bent.

WHAT I REALLY DON'T LIKE IS - the fact that the passenger front of the truck is DROOPING! I looked for cracked sping packs, broken steering box, and anything else that looked outta wack. I did hi-lift the front bumper on each side looking for odd stuff... and I noticed that the spring pack on the passenger side expanded quite a bit compared to the drivers side pack...

Other than that - I noticed that the rear suspension feels VERY loose compared to the front susp... the body did rotate about 1/4"-3/8" on top of the frame, but all mounts are intact and SEEM to be fine with zero slop... and... hmm... can't think of anything else.

I'M GOING KRAZIE! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I can't believe that I've done this to my truck! What am I going to do???? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I also did PARK the truck in the ditch... one rear tire in the ditch, all other 3 still up higher, a little flexed but NOTHING serious. I left it there for 10 hours. Could I have re-arc'd the springs? Problem with that thought was that the drivers front was compressed while the pass. front was dropped expanded. And now the reverse is what I am seeing.

AHHH!!! Someone please tell me what I've done... I can't stand it! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

-Dan

*** SEE BELOW FOR UPDATES! ***

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: OMG! What have I done.... crooked body

sounds like you left the frame twisted during that time and it wants to stay that way now /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Honestly I'd just give it a few days to settle down. Go through the ditch again with the other site flexing, or just let it go for a few days. It should be fine.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A guy in my club parked is jeep on our clubs RTI ramps one day in front of his tire store for effect. When he pulled it off in the afternoon it was leaning real bad, he did the opposite pose the next day for a few hours and it seems to have "fixed" it. Kinda scary looking at first.

4. KRAZIE87K5

AHHH!!!!! I am SO pissed at myself! I can't believe that I did this! This soooooo sux! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Should I park it in the ditch the opposite way tomorrow, or just let it settle down by leaving her on FLAT terrain while I'm at work? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

5. KRAZIE87K5

That's EXACTLY what I did... "JUST FOR EFFECT!" I got lots of comments over the day... but I don't remember if it twisted before or after I drove it thru the ditch!

SOMETIMES, I CAN BE SOOOO STUPID... never again park the rig flexed for the folks at work to gawk at! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

AHHHH!!!!

-Dan

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what have you done in regards to frame work?
    stitch weld the crossmembers?
    replace rivets with bolts and stover nuts?
    nothing? really nothing? that wont do at all.

7. KRAZIE87K5

I've replaced a bunch of rivets with grade 8 stuff... other than that I've never done frame work. Never knew I needed to! What actually happened to my truck today? Ideas?

-Dan

8. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I've never heard of this but I hope everything goes OK for ya!

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

showoff

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ya settled the springs. Put it in the other way and settle the other side. Then it will flex better /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Drive it a few days. run over honda's and stuff. After hard wheeling in mine it takes a day or two before it settles back. The ORD Steering brace took out the worst of it. The rest is the springs are bound up a little.

11. KRAZIE87K5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    showoff

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is too damn funny! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

12. KRAZIE87K5

So you think that I just kinda stretched it out a bit, and it will settle down after I romp on it some more? I did park it the opposite way in the ditch today... but I will only leave it there for a few hours, as to not produce the same effect in the opposite direction!!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Should I stop worrying?

-Dan

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, quit worrying, it'll be fine.

14. KRAZIE87K5

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Okay... but I'm still kickin myself in the ass for that dumb@ss stunt! Never again... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Dan

15. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

My buddy's truck did that after he stayed flexed out to the max for atleast 6 hrs....it looked funny for like a day then settled back in later....I wouldn't worry much

16. KRAZIE87K5

Re: OMG! crooked body **DAY ONE RECOVERY**

Okay... at work today I parked half back in the ditch the other direction. After I left it there for about 2 1/2hrs I took it out, and it seemed to sit straight.

After I drove it home, and then drove to a buddies house... the friggin' front end is saggin again! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Totally sux...

I'm just real sad that I haven't seen it sitting straight again!

Could it be possible that I bent the body or the mounts on the chassis?

-Dan

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If i were you I'd park it on flat ground and loosen all the body mount bolts. Then I'd see how it sits...if it still sat low on one side I'd jack that side up a little under the frame and re-tighten all the body bolts.

Then I'd never leave my truck crossed up for 10 hours again.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

18. KRAZIE87K5

Then I'd never leave my truck crossed up for 10 hours again...

[/ QUOTE ]You don't say Rene?!!! Seriously?

Just kidding... I DO like the idea of loosening all the body mount bolts, getting it to sit straight again, and then re-tightening them. That just might work...

-Dan

19. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

And you laughed at me as I went down the hill with no brakes. Now my turn. Ha ha ha ha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif haha

Okay I think we learned something here. Oh yea I thought it was funny you checked the steering box! Have you ever seen one break before? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

20. KRAZIE87K5

Oh yea I thought it was funny you checked the steering box! Have you ever seen one break before? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]NOPE - never actually witnessed a cracked frame or a CRACKED AGR steering box! I just figured that if you lost so much steering capability, and you were wandering on the road so much - SOMETHING had to be broken. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Guess I just always wanted to see one brake - and you made that wish come true! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

As for laughing at me... I figure I learned a good lesson too. So all the laughing that went on in this thread WASN'T for nothing. At least my truck and I taught everyone else a lesson on leaving a rig crossed up! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

GLAD TO HELP! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

-Dan