Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OMG HELP WITH MY NV4500-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Back in sept, I blew out an o-ring in the slave of my nv4500. took it to a shop, they said the whole slave needed to be replaced. I took back the old one, looked at it, and there was nothing wrong, only the o-ring was missing.

After their "repair" I always had soft pedal, which I needed to "pump up"- needless to say, they blamed the master cylinder for this issue. So I replaced the master, bled the system, all was good- until one day, I farkin lost the clutch again. Looking closely, my o-ring on my master was... gone! And it started leaking of course. So I replace it with a brand new master. Bled the system a bit, was ok, but still sometimes hard to get into gear. fast forward 3 weeks, I bleed the system again. All feels great, everything is working good- But it seems after driving for a while, I cant really shift anymore. The clutch feels significantly firmer than before. But it seems as if it isnt actuating the cluch at all. I tried bleeding the system again, and it bleeds just fine- Which leads me to believe the problem might exist in the shift/ other mechanism.

Help! I had clutch pressure, but it seem like it didnt really want to apply pressure to the tranny. Any ideas? Solutions? Problems you've had???

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I forgot to add- The clutch feels like the fluid isnt going anywhere- even when I floor it. Fluid level didnt go down, so its not a leak. It almost feels like the slave is having issues pushing in the clutch? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Help me...... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how old is the clutch?
    what kind of clutch?

a diaphram clutch gets very difficult to press when the disc is worn
    the fingers end up at an angle that is imposible for the slave to depress before blowing out

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HMM /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif this is hard. Im still wondering how the O ring dissappeared, twice. The line is fine? No cracks? Well I guess it would be if youhad a pedal.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

clutch isnt that old- According to the previous owner, its only about 2 years old. I've never had any slipping/smoking problems at all. Wondering if I can see the clutch level from any peep hole?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The o-ring the first time was by the slave. THe second time was at the master after I replaced it. I think when I replaced the master, I used the wrong sized retainer thingy, the first time, so I replaced it with the one they included. The line has no cracks, cause then.. yeah.. fluid would be pissin out.

Has anyone ever heard of these forks being bent?

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

nobody? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

update: Well, I swapped the old slave in, since the slave screw was stripped anyways when I was trying to bleed it. Upon closer inspection, there was a hole on the back of the bell housing where the slave is.

It acutally looks like at one point the plunger for the slave slipped off the indentation, and the force of the plunger acutually plunged a hole into the back!

So unfortunately, I didnt have any brake fluid on me, so I will try bleeding it and trying it again tomorrow. Wish me luck!

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunately, some bad news. It looks as if I bent my clutch fork. Its got to be at least 1-2 inches from where it should be. I should have realized something wasnt right when I always had to depress the pedal all the way to the floor for disengagement.

Question is, Do you think I could bend it back out temporarily?

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I see there are lots of clutch forks listed in my Dorman catolog,but I think they might be out of business--Tim could probably tell me if they still exist--(so many companies have been bought out or dissolved since I was a parts man I cant keep up!). You might be able to bend it back--but you'll probably be wise to weld a peice of reinfocement on it if room permits,or it will likely bend again...if Dorman cant help,you need to go to a GM dealer,or junkyard. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i just need it to last for a few months.. then my warranty kicks in. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif