Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

omg help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Oct 4, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

first off....anyone know what kind of posi this is? any info you can give me on it?
    [​IMG]

second...
    refilling the diff, is there a refil bolt somewhere? I dont seem to have one on my 10b anywhere, so i tried filling it from the little tube out the top (which i now know isnt how you fill it)

how do i fill it?
    More than a quart came out, and i have only been able to put 80% of a quart back in, it just wont go /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

dont know about the posi. Are you sure on the pinion, out on the 'snout' of the axle there isnt a pipe plug w/ a square head sunk into it? If there is, use a 3/8" ratchet to take it out, fill till comes out hole, put plug back in, and go.

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Neat trick that works on the trail or if plugs are stripped is to fill a ziplock bag full of gear oil and stuff it into the rearend and bolt the cover on. Drive a few miles & the gears will grind the bag back into the oil from which they were made.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

That really looks like the traction lock limited slip diff I have in my Mustang /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

looks like a limited slip, you need to put additive in with the oil.

also if you can't get fluid in the vent tube, make sure its not plugged.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

im going insane

the only place i have to work on this is a gravel lot...no jack, so crawling on my back in the gravel is ouch #1

second, i pulled my stomach muscles trying to out situp a friend, thats not making getting in and out of there easy

third, i found the drain plug thing, but it takes a ****in 3/8 square?
    what the [censored] backward ass chinese engineer thought this up?

im having one of those glorious days...earler my plastic socket box hinges broke and dumped my 50$ socket set all over the ground, ive been spilling change out of my pockets on the gravel, got damn oil in my hair and i havnt accomplished a damn thing to far today

anyone want to buy a blazer for 5$?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ill give ya $10. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You do know that your 3/8 ratchet with an extension is perfect for removing the fill plug from your diff, right?

Fill the sucker up until it starts to pour out of the fill hole. Also, before you fill it back up use some BrakeKleen and spray out the inside of the diff to remove any built up sludge hiding out. Make sure you let the BrakeKleen evaporate before you button up the diff cover and refill the diff.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd give ya ten for it too--except I have to spend that ten for a used tire for my 79 C10--took my first long trip in it today to bring my sister home--got nearly halfway there(about 40 miles)and suddenly there was a loud rumbling noise--at first I thought it was the recently installed 305 I spent two weeks putting in getting ready to seize up or worse,but it turned out my right rear tire had lost all its air suddenly--tried to change it on the side of I-495,but my wonderful hydraulic bottle jack decided to leak enough fluid so it would only lift the truck 2 inches--not much help--so I tightened the lugs back up and drove it flat about 3 miles to get off the highway and to a gas station(self serve of course--no garage)so I bought a quart of motor oil and filled the jack back up--worked enough to get the spare on--now to find the stock lug nuts I stashed in the glove box 2 years ago(truck had aluminum mags on it--suprised I didnt trash the rim!)found the lug nuts,and I was on the road again--with a 205-15 on one side and 3 235-15's,a little crooked but I made it the rest of the way there and home--what a way to start the week,dodgeing semi's at 80 mph a few inches from your head--I'm never attempting to change a tire on the highway ever again--its simply suicidal nowadays.
    About the filler plugs on the rear end--one of the first things I do is chuck the square drive originals in the trash and get a real pipe plug with an external square or hex head--more than once I stripped out the stupid originals,and had to drill and E-Z out them out,or weld a bolt to it--those things can be a PITA,especially when your on the trail and dont have a ratchet or extension handy.
    Oh--you must have the same set of 50 buck sockets as me,from craftsman--I had to chase all mine on the side of the road today too-opened the box to get some pliers to let the jack down--all the contents of the box spilled everywhere,I was lucky to find them all--I hate those cheap plastic POS cases--I bet sears doesnt sell new ones,or a metal one to replace it(I bet its not covered by their lifetime warrantee either /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).
    Here's the real kicker--after I get home and put all the tools in their place in the truck--I started to think,and I opened the hood--there in its original place all bolted down,was the OEM JACK AND HANDLE right beside the battery!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif--I cant beleve how stupid I can be sometimes!--I guess its hard to think when a tractor trailer going 85 is about to crush you-- /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    Looks like an interesting week ahead--I think I need to visit the package store! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looks like a standard (common) Eaton clutch-type posi.

Same thing used in cars for quite some time.

Is this in the truck? Surprised it isn't a gov-lock, if not changed from stock.

Make sure to clean the heck out of that fill plug before attemting to remove it. Those things strip fairly easily, and a bit of dirt at the bottom will only make it that much easier to round out.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah looks like a 12 bolt posi.

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah looks like a 12 bolt posi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a 10b from my chair.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the same design...also used in 7.5" diff's.

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like a standard (common) Eaton clutch-type posi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eaton was my first guess /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I fill mine through the vent tube all the time. No biggie. just make sure your givin some way for air to displace itself as your filling it. A thin coffee stirring straw goes a long way to letting some air out.