Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OMG I think i just bought a set of 2.02 sbc heads for 40.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by puckhead, Oct 25, 2005.

1. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

can anyone help me out with some casting numbers? They are 2.02 but I need to know the combustion chamber volume there angle plug heads that have been ported and polished already they just need valves/springs/studs/guide plates

2. gauder

gauder Banned

3. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

they are 64 cc chambers if i put them on a late model 1 peice rear block that is stock would that be to much compression?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what is the casting number?

are they vortec heads?

906 or 060? that is the last 3....

5. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

6. RootBreaker

did ya get them for $40??
    nice score...

340292 1973-1980 2.02/1.6 300hp & UP 64 CC Chambers
    These are the 'turbo' heads with angle plugs.

got that from
    http://vetteworks.tripod.com/casting.htm

added the 19 on the dates :haha:

wonder if they are better than the vortec heads?
    vortecs are not 202 until you machine them... wonder what kind of lift they are good till???

7. RootBreaker

also found this post from someone...

looked closer at those heads .... those are #340292 heads.

These are what is called the "292" casting or "292 Turbo" head. They were an over-the-counter angle plug head in the late 70's and 80's. These are NOT GM Bowtie heads.

They are a decent head, and in fact I used them a lot many years ago. They took a lot of work to get decent flow numbers out of them, and they have a casting flaw at one of the intake runners near the pushrod hole. When these heads are heavily modified it is common to actually port right through the intake port wall into the pushrod hole. This caused engine builders (me included) to have to modify the intake runner machining paths during porting, or weld reinforcements (added material) to the intake runner (only 1 runner).

The price is not bad for all the gadgets included, but it is not good either. These are cast iron heads ... and old. Double the expense and you would have a brand new set of aluminum heads that outflow them by 20% or more right out of the box and save a lot of weight too. For the same price you could get New cast iron Vortec heads, complete.

I doubt those are titanium valves ... looking at them, they "may" be just titamium valve spring retainers (big deal). All aftermarket heads use CM (chrome moly) or titanium retainers, and they are not very expensive.

Don't get me wrong, these are not bad heads, but better heads are available for not much more $$$. Plus, you have to trust that their supposed "fresh from the machinist" comment. You have NO clue what was done to the heads without disassembly and inspection.

I would have to say to avoid these heads unless you had a written guarantee of return AFTER disassembly and inspection (machining, parts, crack detection, surface check), and even then I would not pay over $200 for the pair myself. The reason, GM Vortec cast iron heads are better than these and available complete (assembled) for under $600 NEW.

My suggestion ... PASS

over at
    http://centuryperformance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=252

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for $40 the statement of pass is stupid IMO. Not everyone is porting all the way out. Or even porting. Sounds like it is a large port job that cuts into the pushrod hole, not something I'd bet 90% of the people here have or will be doing anytime soon.

Vortecs are nice but not the end all be all. personally I doubt I will ever run a set except where they came stock. I'd rather have Bowtie heads over Vortecs, if I'm spending $600 on heads I might as well spend $800 and get something better, and have better port potential. Vortecs also have the added cost of intakes that are more expensive then stockers and if you need to run an EGR, have fun with that. And the limited lift capabilities.

9. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

yea i got the heads they are bare and a right hand dipstick .030 over 1 peice late 350 rebuilt for 90.00 all together

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you said "ported and polished already", what was ported and polished? Intake polished? In taht case walk away. Just a notation for you.

sorry for hijacking a bit there.

11. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

that was a quote from another forum on a diffrent set of head in a diffrent condition i already bought em im just curious if i can put em on a stocker late model 1 peice rear block and not have too much compresion

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

relative to what is too much.... ok that came out odd. What is too much? I think stock compression on a single piece 350(87-95) is about 8-8.5:1. I'd bet you will bump up to about 9-9.5:1. Not bad at all, may require a little more fuel(89 or 92+ octane).

13. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

i just checked the pushrod holes it seems that theres a lot o metal left there

14. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

i figured i was ok since they are 64 cc heads would it be possible to even use a 60 cc chamber?

15. RootBreaker

I didnt say pass on them... I just did a copy and paste from another forum stating about those heads.... no price was mentioned... so yeah depending on price....

also... you say vortec heads require an expensive intake?
    I just bought a vortec intake new...from cnc something.com.. i can dig up the link again... $110 to my door..I cancelled the order when I had the option to go bbc... I still have that option so I gotta find out on friday.... if I dont get the bbc I will re-order the intake.....

limited lift capabilities.... that one is what has me... gmgoodwrench says good to .450 lift and summitracing.com says good to .480 lift... however if you replace the springs to z-28 and put lt4 retainers and screw in studs (not pressed in) then it can go .510 lift..... what does that mean.. <High Jack On...... so if you put a .474 lift cam in on vortec heads.... is the valve going to hit the piston? I ask as replacing the springs and studs doesnt change the lift acceptance does it? just allows a bigger cam without it falling apart... I ask as I am planning on running a .474 cam if I dont get the bbc and dont know..... Hijack off>