Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

omg its got a posi

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bowtiewrench, Oct 24, 2004.

1. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Well today I was out ripping around in the k5 and was beating on it a bit with some friends. I was trying to do break stands but it just didn't like doing it. Who ever ordered this thing with 2.73 gears was a complete moron. It started raining a bit and I tried some more break stands and sure enough both tires went up in smoke. I could not believe this thing had a stock posi on the option list when it was ordered, these trucks are hard to come by with a stock posi rear end.

Alex

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Actually the gov lock (Posi) isn't that rare. Be careful with it though, they tend to grenade when abused too much. I have one in my 14ff but it is rendered useless when the front is locked up.

3. bowtiewrench

Ya I figured anything they put in that 10 bolt isnt going to be that strong. I blan to change the diif fluids front and rear and T-case to synthetic as a piece of mind, cause god knows what the fluid looks like.

Alex

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

It prolly is a gov loc, but it might not be. I know my blazer was open and it would get both tires loose, along with my friends tahoe. Ive seen other open diffs (on wet, loose pavement) get both to spin also, just like it had posi. Now I understand how diffs work and all, thats how I make my income after school, but I dont see how my open diff would get both tires loose? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif In theroy, it shouldnt work.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Changing fluid isn't going to save a gov-lock.

Be easy on it, or you WILL be changing the axles sooner than you think. Burnouts and the gov-lock=carnage, in short order.

Of course, if you want to get rid of the 2.73's, have at it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If ya do that a couple of more times you'll be doing more than change the fluid.
    It don't take much to start the gov-bomb tickin.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont see how my open diff would get both tires loose? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif In theroy, it shouldnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it should. With the same amount of traction on both sides, an equal amount of torque woudl be applied.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

But it would do it EVERY time. Thats what made no sense.

9. bowtiewrench

I plan on putting a locker in the rear along with some 4.10's. For now Im just going to run the 10 bolts as the should be fine for how I use the truck. I plan to build a stout 406 with an nv4500 behind it which with the way I drive is sure to cause some carnage on that piece of a 10 bolt. hey k5monsterchev what exactly do you need to adapt an nv4500 to a small block. Thanks

Alex

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont see how my open diff would get both tires loose? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif In theroy, it shouldnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it should. With the same amount of traction on both sides, an equal amount of torque woudl be applied.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had some open differentials with a LOT of play in the spider gear to carrier area and it caused enough "binding" to make both tires spin; the pins and spiders broke shortly thereafter.

Would a G80 in the glovebox mean it has a gov-lock?

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Would a G80 in the glovebox mean it has a gov-lock?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the mid 70's on in trucks , yes it would /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. dyeager535

G80 appears to be any traction aiding differential. (rear only?)

Cars used G80, and so did trucks. Very few, if any, cars got gov-locks.

However, the GM truck manuals list quite a few different non-open differential assemblies, (gov-lock, eaton posi, cone type IIRC) so there is no GUARANTEE that G80=gov-lock, even in a truck.

These vehicles are all so old now, unless the original owner, it's pretty much impossible to tell what the truck originally came with...the gov-locks come apart pretty regularly, and the 8.5" 10 bolt was used in lots of different cars and trucks, thus, an actual posi of some type would be a no-brainer swap into a truck after a gov-lock came apart.

13. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the detroit locker that was available in the Eaton rearend in earlier GM trucks was listed on the sheet as G86 No-Spin Diff.
    older 1/2 ton trucks with the G80 had the generic clutch style posi, but I think the dana axles and power/trak locks had their own RPOs.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree , however , my post is based on the trucks I have seen in yards and in trucks . Seems like the second gen Blazer got the gov locs exclusively . I am sure there could be others , because we know GM track record with changes to keep the lines going . regardless , I will never run one again after having a locker out back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. dyeager535

From previous posts, it almost sounded as if non gov-locks were more common 88-91 than 81-87, but that was just based on a few peoples post.

I was quite surprised to see the different styles listed in the 1986 service manual. I too have personally seen nothing other than the gov-locks in a 1/2 ton axle.