Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OMG!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

was out trying to get my ff14b gears broke in today... for some reason they refuse to break in... they keep getting hot. I had the diff cover off 2 days ago... all seemed fine but apparently it wasn't. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was on my way back and I started to smell cooking diff oil... not good. I took some breaks from driving to try to let it cool down. In spite of that, literally 10' from my driveway I heard a bad noise. Get it the next 10', stop, get out and the diff is cookin. Lots of heat comin off... and some of the paint on the diff is smokin a little. I run into the garage, get my tools, then after a lil cooling I take the cover off and there it is. one piece of a gear tooth laying in the bottom of the diff. nooooooooooo!!!!!!! I cant tell right now if the tooth is from a spider gear or the main ring, its just the end of the thing, maybe 1/4" wide.

anyway, im parking diagonally in my parents driveway, and Im screwed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif they are gonna be fawkin pist. I guess I'll have to wait until its cold, then take out the ring and see what I can see. This completely sucks. No idea why the thing acted the way it did. I did have welded spiders... but the entire rest of the axle is NEW. this sucks. anyone have any advice? if any1 needs help its me!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm thinking about taking the gears out and taking them to a shop so they can swap a detroit in instead of the welded spiders... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ahhhhhh...nooooooooo!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif !!!

j

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Disconnect the rear driveshaft, put it in 4HI, and get it out of the driveway (Make the parents happy!)

Then you can assess what's going on with less pressure on you. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. jekbrown

one problem, no front driveshaft right now... took it off when i dropped the t-case... since then, i swapped in the D60 so i dont think the old shaft would work anyway. for the love of god why me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif hmmm... i dunno, that shaft might work if i raised the tcase back up (so it would fit around the exhaust...). good grief, so many issues so little time. and, OF COURSE, this happens 1 week from finals week at school... i can feel the kidney stones growing as we speak. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

4. jekbrown

mom has offered to pay for a tow truck ride... so i guess I am gonna take advantage. I want my rig back pronto, and there is a reliable shop in town i can take it to. gawd this sux. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Won't hurt anything to just move it from driveway even without grease in it,long as it's not locked up.Just idle it around and it'll be OK to get out of the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

lol, its always locked up... welded spiders. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That sucks, my worst nightmare for when I go to break my gears in. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If you don't mind my asking, what were the specs on your gears after you set them up, especially the backlash? Any pics of the pattern that you ran? </font>

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

By "locked up" he was talking about the bearings. If the diff has seized, then it won't be able to move. But if it can still turn, then you should be able to at least pull out of the way of your folks driveway.

The welded spiders won't make your diff overheat. When driving straight, the spider gears aren't even spinning. (Not that they can anyway once they're welded!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Sounds like the backlash was set too tight or the pinion depth was incorrect. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was thinkin that the lash was too tight. I used to run r/c's and you have to set the gear lash just right. Too tight: no power or runtime, too loose= stripped teeth.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Someone didnt set your gears correctly. This is why you have someone that know what they are doing put them in. I have done tons of sets of gears, and I remember when I was learing it took a while to get them set just right, but I learned from someone who has done them for 20 yrs (my dad). Pay someone to do them, and get new gears, sine even 10 miles with the wrong setup will destroy them.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Pull the axel shafts and you can at least push it around if the gears a frozen up.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats what I did. I just took them to someone who knows gears well. He did a good job from what I can tell. I haven't had any problems with them sofar, and I am very happy.

Oh wait, you did my gears. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks again Dan.

13. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

what do you mean about breaking in gears?, I've never heard of that, is there a proceedure for doing so, or is that just what you thought you needed to do since they were heating up? your scaring me man, my buddys dad set up my gears and I know he didn't use any special tools, we went from 4:10 to 4:56 and he said they were close enough to use the same shims for the pinion depth, he used the old crush sleeve which I don't think matters on a 14bolt, and as for the backlash he just held the yoke and moved the ring and set it by feel, he's a pretty good mechanic though, I was sceptical but he knows more then me so I'll take his word for it that it will work. I'm getting ready to run the set up in a day or two, hope I don't get unlucky, good luck with fixin it

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what do you mean about breaking in gears?, I've never heard of that, is there a proceedure for doing so, or is that just what you thought you needed to do since they were heating up? your scaring me man, my buddys dad set up my gears and I know he didn't use any special tools, we went from 4:10 to 4:56 and he said they were close enough to use the same shims for the pinion depth, he used the old crush sleeve which I don't think matters on a 14bolt, and as for the backlash he just held the yoke and moved the ring and set it by feel, he's a pretty good mechanic though, I was sceptical but he knows more then me so I'll take his word for it that it will work. I'm getting ready to run the set up in a day or two, hope I don't get unlucky, good luck with fixin it

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Ummm, did he even run a pattern on the gears? I would NEVER run gears that were set up by feel, that's just asking for trouble. Also, there is no "close enough" with gears, they're either right or they're wrong. I highly doubt that the old shims were correct to use with the new gears, they might be close, but not perfect. You should never reuse a crush sleeve either, you can get away with it sometimes when you replace a yoke, but not with new gears. Nobody is a good enough mechanic to tell the difference between .008" and .012" of backlash unless they set up gears all the time, and even pros use the tools to measure it.

I hate to tell you this, but I'd bet money that your gears are going to fry. There is a break-in procedure, the most important part is to run them easy for 20 minutes then let them cool before driving again. Don't be hard on them or tow for another 500 miles, then change the oil and you should be good to go. that would be in a normal case, but like a I say, I have doubts that you'll even make it 500 miles without frying those gears. Good luck, and I hope I'm wrong. </font>

15. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Mines welded to and it's DD.Doesn't make it run any hotter than normal.Meant bearings locked up.Hope the gears aren't hurt yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I know it isn't perfect, heck I don't even care if they whind a little, I just don't want them to break, maybe I'll go buy some compound and check them out, what kind of pattern should I look for?

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If they whine then they aren't going to last long. Noise means that they aren't meshing properly. Go to the tech section at Randy's Ring and Pinion, they have a guide to setting up gears. </font>

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No problem Harley. Harleys is a good example of not having a heating problem from being welded. I welded the spiders for him when I did his gears, and he drove from AZ to CO and it didnt lock up.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. jekbrown

yeah, prolly is a backlash or pinion depth issue. live and learn i guess. 1 day removed i am starting to feel a lil better about the whole thing. my mom has offered to help me pay to have everything fixed... and its at the shop right now. Gonna have em swap my new tcase in too... just take care of everything at once. who knows, maybe i can still make my wheelin trip at the end of the month. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you set the gears yourself? If so what were your numbers for pinion depth and back lash?