Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

omigosh

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Jun 13, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

flipping through the newspaper, i saw an article on the front page of the paper about potholes. they're a major problem in this area, and they're going to start doing something about it. there's a rather large color picture on the front page looking down a road, with a big pothole in the foreground. at a glance i thought it looked familiar. upon closer inspection, it looks familiar because it's the pothole in front of my house, the same one i hit almost every morning. :rotfl:

check it out, its the picture under the "good roads gone bad" article.
    http://www.etruth.com/Index.aspx?date=2006_06_13_

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Slow news day? :p:

Rene

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Good roads gone bad
    County highway department unveils maintenance plan
    Published: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 -- The Truth, A1
    Last updated: 6/12/2006 10:58:22 PMBy Aleks Tapinsh
    Truth Staff[​IMG][​IMG]EnlargeSave[​IMG]BuyVehicles beware
    A pothole is seen Monday on C.R. 15 just north of C.R. 28. Under a county highway department plan, residents of northern portions of Elkhart County may see maintenance crews working on county roads. Next year, the crews will move into the southern portions of the county.
    Photo: Fred Flury / The Truth
    [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Portions of C.R. 13 need work this summer, although resident John Rapp doesn't see why.
    "There are worse roads in Elkhart County (than C.R. 13)," said Rapp, who lives on the county road.
    While to his eye the road looks pretty good, the highway department plans to work on portions of C.R. 13 this year, according to road maintenance plans from the highway department.
    "It's cheaper to change the oil in your cars than to wait until your engine dies," County Highway Manager Jeff Taylor told the County Council on Saturday during a discussion on how to spend money from the 75-year lease of the Indiana Toll Road.
    For every dollar spent on prevention, the county will save $6 to 10 in maintenance costs, he said.
    Under the plan, residents of northern portions of Elkhart County may see maintenance crews working on county roads. Next year, the crews will move into the southern portions of the county. In 2008, they will return to the north.
    The plan offers the best use of money and labor resources, Taylor said. The idea is to go through all 840 miles of county roads every five or six years, he said.
    "Our ultimate goal is to maximize our tax dollars" said John Bowers of the highway department. "The plan would give you better, longer-lasting roads at a lower cost."
    For many years, the county fixed the worst roads first no matter where they were in the county he said. Officials hope the new plan will bring efficiency and cost savings.
    A total of 94 miles of roads countywide require maintenance attention, according to a rating system roads received from the highway department. But the department won't get to all of them this year.
    Those roads are targeted for grinding, profiling the base and putting a cap of asphalt on them. Taylor said there too many county roads in this category to get to them all in 2006.

[/FONT]

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like my home town newspaper.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

That one pothole's not too bad. They should have found one that can swallow a small car ;)

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I was going to say, that is a pothole? Around here that is just a bot dot....

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its pretty decent sized. not very far across, but its about 6" deep at the deepest spot. its brothers and sisters are farther up the road. probably at least 50 of them the same size. makes for some interesting driving conditions when you hit them at 45+, not remembering they're there. :eek1:

IMAG0406.JPG

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Do they frown upon homeowners filling them in thierselves? My dad used to do that when he got pissed enough at hitting them.... with roadfill he kited from the city pile... hahahahaha