Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? on 2003 Seirra HD front bumper?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skyyk5, Mar 21, 2007.

1. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Well I dented the front bumber of my HD last week. I'm going to get a new one to put on. I don't like the spacer between the bumber and grill, I know it's for the thicker frame. I wanted to know if anyone had the front bumper off a HD yet? I want to see if it looks possible to made brackets to get rid of the spacer, or if there is something in the way.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can push the bumper up with brackets for a body lift but the tow hooks and the frame ends will interfere with the airdam. you can either cut the air dam, which is what I did on mine. or cut the end of the frame.

3. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I'd trim the frame, If it looked alright to do. I got that fance painted air dam. I was also thinking of going with the Denali front bumper, grill and lights. Just kicking things around right now. Putting anouther project on the list!

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought about the denali treatment. decided against it because it looks more like a suv then a truck. where is it dented and how bad?

when you cut the frame it's not much. about 1-2" back and the part you are cutting isn't the main box of the frame. it's simply a big metal D shape meant to snug up next to the bumper to help absorb impact in an accident.

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had the bumper off mine - I would recommend going Denali!

I put the Denali bumper on my truck - mine is an '02 GMC -

I made several different brackets to lift mine. I swapped my towhooks left to right and flipped them over - drilled two new holes in the frame, and wedged the end of the towhook between the blocker beam & top of the frame pocket.

I didn't have to trim my frame ends - just some areas of my core support. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - now just need to save $$ to lift it a little bit...

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stock 1/2 ton Denali fog light bracket and my fog light bracket designed to clear HD frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  6. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like I have yet another project. That looks nice.:bow: :bow:
    About how long did it take you?
    I can't see the last 3 pics, don't know if it's my computer (junk) or not.
    Again, Nice:bow:

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I see them now!

8. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Just got done looking up the prices for all the Denali parts, OUCH! Don't know if I'll be able to do it soon. And If I just put a new (lifted up ) bumper on it, thinking it will just stay that way.

9. IGOR

If you space everything out - it's not too bad. You can use your stock GMC headlights in the Denali grille, and can pick up stock Denali yellow turn signals for very cheap on Ebay. I've started to see aftermarket Denali grilles now on Ebay - which was my most expensive single part ($280 from dealer). I bought my outer bumper off Ebay for $100 - it wasn't perfect - but I had to get it painted anyway - and my painter did an awesome job... I got my inner bumper support from an autobody shop - it is cracked in several places and they were throwing it away... The bottom black grille I got off Ebay for like $20, the clips, license plate holder, and turn signal valances I ordered from Sam Taylor Buick Cadillac:

http://www.samtaylor.com/en_US/ - ask for Jason Cromer in parts - they have the best prices on GM parts that I have found.

I have a bunch more pictures here:

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/SCAREDYCAT_2006/BEN/GMC/

I would be happy to help if you go this direction - I'm very happy with how mine turned out

10. IGOR

As for how long it took me - about a month to get everything fit up right - but I wasn't always able to work on it - I designed the brackets as I went - I had to design the fog light bracket, an outer bumper support - which was a simple flat bracket, and a 2" lift for the bumper (which I used square tubing on - and drilled a hole - bolted it in the stock location) This is a pretty straight forward swap - you have to trim the inner bumper and your core support here & there - but nothing majorly structural

- I drove my truck for quite awhile with no bumper or grille - everybody at work was giving me sh*t - but I think the results were worth it. I collected parts for about a year and a half before pulling the trigger

11. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I'll have to see! I just got a ton of things that need $ in them right now. LOL. But thanks, looks great!

12. IGOR

Here's some more inspiration for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was my inspiration to do my truck

[​IMG]

Here's one without the bumper lifted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. skyyk5