Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

on a 4" lift do could i get 36's on there withought cutting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86chevk5, Dec 11, 2002.

1. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

on a 4\" lift do could i get 36\'s on there withought cutting

on a 4" lift could i get some 36's on there withought cutting or will i have to stick with 35's or will they rub too i am weary of a body lift so if i could at all i would like to avoid that but i would rather do that than cutting
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Re: on a 4\" lift do could i get 36\'s on there withought cutting

No. Even with 35's you'll have to trim. 36's with 4" +3" you'll still have to trim some. Don't fear the sawzall /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

John

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If it's a street cruiser you might be able to get away with it as long as you are careful when turning and pulling into driveways and such. It also depends on how wide the tires are 36x12.50's or 36x14.50's, and how wide the rims are. I know a lot of people don't like trimming fenders, but a little bit of trimming on the bottom rear edge is barely noticable but can make a lot more room for tires.

4. 86chevk5

86chevk5 Registered Member

so if a pavement pounder 36's would maybe be all right but as soon as i hit the trails i would have some suroouse rubbing but if i put 35's it should be fine on the trails?/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

35" hit on the trails. You will need to lop the little corners off of the front. That's what I did.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That should be fine, as long as you don't turn any corners or leave the ashpalt. If you have to turn into a grocery store or something, just move all the way to the opposite lane first and then make a 3 point turn to avoid turning your wheels more than 10 or 15 degrees from center.

With 4", 35's rub on the fender lips. Most 35s are radials and only 34" tall. When you go to a 36, it's probably made by Interco and is actually 36" tall, so it is 2" bigger than a 35. It may also be a 14" width instead of 12.5, which makes things worse.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

6" springs, 33" actual height TSLs, no body lift= bent fender lips.
    Suburban is not a trail machine. Tires at full lock are VERY close to the rear fender edge of the front fender. 16.5x9.75 welds with 15-35x16.5 TSLs. For a trail truck, trim the fenders and save the tires.

Take your time trimming and plan it out. The end result can blend right in if your doing minor trimming. My old sub looked like it had ford wheel wells when I got done with the mitabo and cutoff wheel /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

8. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

My 79 Jimmy has 6" and 36 inch buckshots. The wheels are 10" wide and the tires really baloon out on the wide wheels. It rubs. I am going to go to 35's, but they will still probably rub without trimming. If you are getting crazy offroad with the right suspension you could probably rub 33's with 6 inches, on stock fenders. Years ago I did some MAJOR fender trimming on my 74 truck to obtain proper clearance for 36" swampers with 7 inches of lift. I now run 38's but most of the outer and inner fenders are now gone, courtesy sawzall.

9. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

4" of lift and 33's on a good trail if you have good flexy springs and you will eat your fenders. I had 35's and some seriously cut out fenders and still made contact. Did more hacking and cutting when I went to 36's and made light contact, just a rub here and there.

Depdog

10. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have 4inch lift w/ 35x12.50 on 15x10 rims and they rub ONLY when i turn all the way and flex, and the only thing that happend was bent fender lips. im gonna try to move the fron taxle forward w/ the ord zero rates.
    then once i can convince my dad.... im gonna cut them fender lips of [he fears the sawzall]

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With my front sway bar disconnected, my 35x12.50's would rub pretty hard with 4" of lift when flexed out but I don't think they would ever hit on the street. The first trimming I did just cut a small amount off the lower edges of the front fenders, I was actually able to slightly bend the factory chrome wheelwell trim to match the cut and reattach it. You would have to look pretty hard to even tell they were trimmed but they allowed the tire to clear on all but the most serious flexing. Now, after tweaking the suspension more and running harder trails I had to cut quite a bit off the fenders.

12. ncstate hale

ncstate hale Registered Member

I think my dad would have a heart attack if i mentioned breaking out the sawzall for the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but im getting ready to do an axle upgrade and run 35x12.50 R16's on a BDS 4" System, and i really am considering getting a front and rear bumper from Butch b/c he has the best designs for the price. but yeah, my dad loathes the idea of the sawzall, but i think my truck is ready to evolve haha /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif