Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On a brighter note, Santa came early........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 11, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Took a little drive to Oakland today to the freight terminal and guess what I picked up?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that's right sports fans, the front and rear 4x4Iron bumpers that I ordered came in. Now I'm in a quandry, do I rattlecan them, or powdercoat? I had pretty much settled on the rattlecan job, but these things are so sweet, I hate to put an amateur paint job on them. Not to mention the fact that I'm running out of time and have a trip planned for June...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

SAWEEET /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'll fix your confusing problem by taking them off your hands for ya, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that way you won't have to worry about painting them, plus i think they'd look better on a Burb anyway /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If ya have a spray gun, just goto the paint store and buy some decent paint, but remember, if ya wheel it like your supposed to, they are going to get scratched up, rattle can paint would be the easiest to repair those scratches with

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    those bumpers rule! how much all that cost? /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Careful rattlecanning can look quite nice, and the scratch resistance is priceless. There are some nice epoxy and implement and whathaveyou paints with somewhat more durable finishes than the usual rattlecan... donno what their chip resistance is like.

Me, I'd see if I could find a nice contrasting blue for your truck, in a flat finish. Krylon makes some camo colors in an "ultraflat" that are just sweeeeet.

-- A

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif THOSE ARE GORGEOUS /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I dropped $2330 at 4x4Iron, but that included a Warn 9.5ti too. I think the bumpers were around $1300-$1400 for both of them. We are talking some serious beef here too. I'm way impressed with the quality of the work. I was set on just taking them to the powdercoat place but that was earlier when I was near falling asleep from fatigue. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm fresh I will cowboy up and just rattlecan them. My ORD crossover pieces came out good. I used a self-etching primer and Chevy blue engine enamel.

8. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

rattlecan definately. the reason being is from what i understand if you chip, scrach, etc. the powdercoat you have to strip the whole thing and repowdercoat them so

[ QUOTE ]
    if ya wheel it like your supposed to, they are going to get scratched up, rattle can paint would be the easiest to repair those scratches with

[/ QUOTE ]

like he says with the rattlecan you can just knock the dust off and spay it and then their good as new... just my .02

by the way those things are awesome /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif