Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On a cold start is the cloud of smoke normal?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigblock454, Jan 7, 2003.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

My 86 Burb really throws out a cloud of smoke right at startup, after that no smoke. Is this normal? Smoke looks to be white maybe.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How are your glow plugs? They all lighting up and all in good shape? Try plugging it in for a night then start it up.

3. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Mine does exactly the same. On a cold start (<0 decgrees), it won't start after the first crank of about 5-6 seconds, always starts up after about 3-4 secs of cranking on the second try, with a healthy puff of smoke...

Donlt know the condition of my glowplugs, the glow plug light somes on and cycles for a while after start up, then stops.

Talking about glow plugs, when my alt belt started slipping badly, and the battery indicator on the dash went down to about 9-11 volts for a while, the glow plugs would cycle for along time, up to 10 mins into the journey. This stopped when I replaced the alt belt and got the battery charge back up....any idea why a low charge would cause the plugs to cycle? The temp was normal....

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I haven't checked the plugs yet, how hard is that to do? When I plug it in it doesn't do it.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The glow plugs are resitors, and if you know electric formulas, you would know to produce the same amount of energy, using the same resistance, with lower voltage, you need more time.
    It's like the electric stove. Put it on high it will heat in a minute, put it on low and it will take forever to heat the same amount.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. marcus

marcus Registered Member

That is a great reply....you managed to explain it very clearly in just one sentence....if only all post were like this one!

Cheers

M

7. Boggeddown

Boggeddown Registered Member

Try rotating the glow plugs and plugging in the block plug. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif