Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On Board Air compressors........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jun 17, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I need to eventually buy a compressor for engaging the arb,filling tires,rafts,etc. Who makes a really good compressor? Top of the line compressor?Kind of an all around compressor.I looked at the arb ,but im not really impressed.I looked at the york but i am running a/c,and straight tanks are out of the question. Anyone else make a killer compressor?Thanks.......Jake /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Air compressors........

Oh....and i dont want to have to bug 84gmcjimmy for some air out in the mountains either j/k/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Would this work????? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif http://store.gaugemagazine.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1851 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif ? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Could i run my arb,along with other things off this tank?????????? Like i want to do? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

my uncle has that compressor and works pretty good. It take awhile to fill up his 36's and my 36's but it gets the job done. not sure if it's the same modle but it's the same brand.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif does he run an arb off of it too?Id like to have my cake and eat it too /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

he's locked front and back but no arb. He bought it at an pawn shop brand new for $120 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifgood deal......yep,i better to be able air up my tires,blow up a raft,and engage my arb all at the same time with this baby,only if someone knew if this compressor would work with my application. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

the mini truckers prefer the viair 450, since it seems to be more reliable than the 550.

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

you will be able to inflate your tires we fill up 8 36's in about 25 minutes give or take you'll be fine with your raft. but not sure about the arb but I've seen the compressor for an arb and is way smaller not sure on the spec of but it's should be good for an arb.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

MINI TRUCKERS????? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I have only 1 ton stuff /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Sure it will work for an ARB, why wouldn't it? You just need to add on a small tank and regulate the output to the ARB to 85-90 lbs.

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thats a mini truck site you got there. Trust me it they can fill air bags and 12 gallon tanks up to 180 psi then you truck will have no problem lol.
    I would get a tank if I were you with the compressor and a water trap.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

arb"s run off 80-90 pounds,i might have to run a regulator /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But the only one i know of who has done this is willyswanter.Hey WILLYSWANTER!!! Is this easy to do? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

oh ok..... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifso,could i put a tee before the tank?To run the other tools/and crap?How does that work? You have to put in a tee i would think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifJake

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You could put the tank at the end of a single hose with nothing else coming off of it, on the opposite side of the truck. Doesn't matter, it just adds volume to the system. Run a tee if you want, the important thing is that the branch that runs to the ARB be regulated so it always has the correct pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

if your just using the compressor just to fill up tires and maybe air tools do you need a tank?

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You pretty much need a tank for air tools, I doubt that that compressor will keep up with a air ratchet, let alone an impact wrench. Putting a tank on is no big deal, I used an 8 gallon brake tank from a semi trailer and mounted it underneath the truck, behind the tranny and in front of the rear axle. It's out of the way and holds plenty of air for running air tools. Plus with a tank the compressor doesn't have to cycle on and off to run the ARB.

18. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks...

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i noticed you have a york compressor /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif that takes away from your a/c though right? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I mabey run the tee in there,and put the air tool adapter on the end ,mabey with a shut off valve to prevent any leaking or something.Then kick on the isolation valve when tools need to be used /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifi guess a person could go PLUMB crazy on valves/fittings for this and that hu? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI just want to make sure this is a sufficient compressor to use in conjuntion with arb,etc like a bad ass all in one deal./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifJake

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

SO.........is this tank a P.O.S.????? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif do they make one strong enough to run a crapload of air?If they do wich one? One more thing.......with the tank......wouldnt you need a check valve???????In between the comp, and the tank?/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjake