Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On-board air for 60 bucks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteWhomper, Aug 19, 2001.

1. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

The WhiteWhomper finally gets on-board air. I have been wanting to convert my air conditioning pump into an air compressor for quite a while, but It still blows cold and I really wanted to find a way to have both. I looked at some of the aftermarket compressors like the ARB, etc., but the cost quite a bit and they don't have that great of air power. About a week ago, I was just browsing the junkyard when I looked at an old Mercedes deisel sedan. It had a great support bracket along with a single cylinder upright York compressor. Well, yesterday I yanked it off the Mercedes and after about four hours and $20 worth of fittings, I have the compressor up and working on my Jimmy. Best of all, I still have my air conditioning too. I was able to flatten my 36" swamper to less than 2 lbs of air and fill it up to 30psi in about 2 minutes.

I'll try to get some pictures later this week.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool! My buddy just removed the AC from his 79 Ford Supercab pickup and gave me his AC compressor. It looks exactly like the York upright but has the Motorcraft tag on it.

I'm gonna clean it up and have onboard air too! I don't have a clue how to plumb it or what fitings and stuff I'll need though. Does anyone have a link to onboard air set-ups or recomendations for pressure switches and the like?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Cool Ken I've been looking at doing that myself, But seeing how I no longer have AC in the ride I was going to use a GM type compesser but the issue of the oiling of the compesser kept me from getting to work on it. So how hard was it to make the bracket work? And just where did you put it? Did you put a tank in also? Lastly does the junk yard have any more laying around.
    I can't wait to see the pic's Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

5. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

It actually was pretty simple. The compressor and bracket fit without too many modifications. In fact it looks like it was made for this use. I was able to use the ac discharge hose intact and plumbed in a pressure regulator, hose tap and a 3-4 gallon air tank. I got lucky on the air tank, My wife had bought one of those helium ballon kits at the Toy store for my kid's birthday, and the kit comes with a 3-4 gallon tank of helium. You're supposed to throw away the tank after using it, but it was just right in size to fit in front of my drivers wheel well next to the Radiator. I used the v-belt groove from my smog pump to drive the compressor.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Cool links Mark! Mine is definitely a York, and the good part is that it does not have those tall lines and fittings on it. It has the fittings similar to the AMC...
    It was mounted on a 460 so room must have been a concern.

Time to go shopping and do some simple fab work.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>