Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

on board air is cool, but what about on board 120VAC

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jul 23, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

was thinking it would be great to have a small generator say 1500-2000 watts using an old A/C clutch and let it be driven by an add on pulley
    any ideas or experience

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Alot of fire apparatus/ambulances have an engine driven generator similar to that. I don't remember the names of any manufacturers offhand, but they do work extremely well - enough to run 3 sawzalls at once from my personal experience.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What you are looking for is called a power inverter :)

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Inverters feed off the alternator, don't they? What I'm talking about is actually a seperate generator with an A/C type clutch on it, controllable from the cab.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, Trucks TV just put a HUGE generator on a big Ford work truck a couple months ago. You could probably email them for some info.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seems a high capacity inverter with a small 'pancake' type compressor could work.............a generator with a real compressor would kinda take up a bit of room.........don't think bringing one along for wheeling is in my cards anyway. Good idea if you could get it to work............

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

7. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You are talking about a 120v generator head. Northern hydraulic sells them in their catalog. Some of the "alternative energy" websites list them also. Some are made to couple directly to the crank of a small briggs type engine, and some are made to belt drive with a pulley. The pulley style will tolerate the side load on the bearings. The direct drive units do not last long when belt driven. Most of them regulate voltage by RPM. Correct voltage is usually produced when the unit is turning 3600. You would need to calculate that based on pulley sizes and engine rpm.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The fellas on Trucks TV installed some mongo generator under the hood of a Super Duty Ford a while back. You might check out their website for details. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.truckstv.com/>http://www.truckstv.com/</a>

And yes, the generator must spin at a certain RPM in order to put out the correct voltage.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

9. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

that is exactly what i am looking for, i just did not want to say that i needed to put ot on my 99 f-350 superduty. we need a way to have 120vac with out the pain of toting around the 5500 watt generator, not to mention the noise level. and the invertors just do not have the capacity
    i will check out the site
    thanks
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

also you need to wire in a voltage reculator. that way if for some ODD reason your negine spikes you dont fry the item being used and even a capacitor (sp?) for any voltage drop off. a cap for 120v ac is BIG. nothing ou shouldnt have room for. you can spend a few bucks and put a dual alternator setup and a very nice inverter. you will be able to save space that way. also look into tow trucks. they have them some times.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well sence we got off the subject I saw that Dodge is going to come out with a hybred truck. It will be able to use the generator as a 120v power supply. I thought that was a great idea (they want to market it to contractors).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust