Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

on board air?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jim82, Jul 3, 2000.

1. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

Do any of you have on board air of any kind? How is your sys set up? I was just digging around in the garage and found an air compressor from an eighties caddy. It was used for the air shocks for auto leveling. It seems like a sturdy unit, the motor is about the size of my fist and pretty heavy. I was thinking maybe get a 3 gallon tank and mount it to the frame. My main use would be to air up my 32"s. How long does it take to air up your tires?
    I was also looking at the ac compressor systems. They say you can run air tools off of it, but I don't think it would help my gas mi any running two compressors. Just some thoughts..

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

The Caddy compressor sounds cool. Try it! I had a '65 Chevy wagon with a vacuum operated compressor for the OEM air shocks. I have never seen one since. I have tortured an ARB compressor in my K5 since 1989. It's still ticking.

SteveB

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I think the CO2 tanks are the way to go, no pump, no electrical problems and you can buy a tank at most fire ext. refill places and save a bundle over others. I have a 20 lb tank and I can air down and back up 60 times before I have to refill-and I run 44's. You can run air tools and ARB's if you want.

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I have converted a stock G.M. Pancake style Air Conditioning compressor into my on boar air setup. I have a 3 gallon tank under the hood and another 3 gallon with a 6 gallon under the floor of the bed above the rear driveshaft. They all work well together and I can air my tires up as fast as any regular air compressor.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just helped one of my friends put onboard air in his Jeep last month. He got an air conditioning compressor off a '70 AMC Eagle from a junkyard for about $30 and a mounting bracket from onboardair.com. The compressor puts out 10 cfm at around 2500 rpm's and charges a 5 gallon tank to 115 psi in about 20 seconds. The whole project cost about $100 (fittings, tank, regulator, etc.) and he can run an impact wrench with it. As soon as my truck comes back from getting a new tub, I'm going to put the same system on it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy