Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On Board Air??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hello all,
    this weekend I was pondering the thought of a much needed mod! OnBoard Air compressor.
    So I know the easyest way would be to drop 250 bucks for a QuickAir2 hard mount and I'm on my way. Then down the road add a tank and whatever else I seem to need for it.
    My question to you all is, How or what do you have or would use for an onboard compressor.I don't like the thought of adding an extra belt to my engine to run an AC converted pump, or am I just being silly? I mainly will be using it for airing up my tires and after the tanks are installed some trail air tools possiably?
    Thanks

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a cheapie electric one(plugs into cigarette lighter). It sucks. Airing up time is almost as long as wheelin' time. I would like to have an underhood one like the Quickairs or ReadyAir. Check out the August 2000 issue of FourWheeler magazine, they have an annual test of air compressors.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I have the g.m. pancake style compressor on mine and its a 77, dont know what year I got the brackets and comopressor off of. Had to do some slight modifying to the brackets. Have a 3 gallon tank on the drivers side front inner fender, and a 3 gallon and 6 gallon under the bed. Works great. Ask Grim, I aired up all our air mattresses and even a stranded FOOL in a Z-71 on trial 4 in Tellico. Finished wheeling and aired up my tires and went home.

Works great.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Depdog
    are you talkin about a 12vdc compressor or belt drive?
    If it is belt drive I have heard rumors that the more belts the lower the power becomes at the gas peddle, any truth to that?

I'm also tring to figure were would be a good air tank spot.
    Mabie inside a rocker box?

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Lets see the belts taking power to turn. Yes they do!A belt turning a disengaged a/c compreser pully takes about 1/4 Hp to turn. if you have a 300 Hp engine thats about .84 % of your power. not much of a deal if you ask me.
    I have the Quik-Air 2 it power my air looker in front works fine for that. As for airing up the tires, yea it will do it but you better have a locking air chuck and plane on doing other things as it pumping the air in! I'm looking at useing the a/c comp or of a GEO METRO or some other realy small belt driven unit that will give me enouf air to use a air tool like to change a tire or an axel on the trail. The quik-air just does not have the balls to do much and its not worth the 200.00 or so it cost to buy!!!

What ever you use any one board air needs a on board air-tank to help it out!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, QuickAir 2 on the web says it will pump a 33" tire from 15 to 30 in 2.5min. So 10 min. of pumping to get back up to hwy pressuer on all 4. Ok I can see why you would say it takes for ever but compared to a 50 dolor pump from sears
    that takes 10 to 15 per tire it's allot faster.
    Thanks for the comments

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Mine could not do that when it was new it takes about 10 per tire to do from 20 to 30 ad almost 10 more per tire to get it too 35 I run my TA's at 34 to 36 so it takes about 14 to 20 minits per tire if I drop down to 12 or 10 like I want!!! Works fine to run the arb though!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to do everything right the first time. No matter the cost or hassle. Thats why my next project is going to be using an A/C compressor for air. They're cheap, big and bad and pump a lot of air.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have one I found under my new pickup...(new to me77-150! with a 460!) It's really slow at filling tires...but it is better than nothing...i usually just fill basketballs up..lol

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Check www.onboardair.com
    I helped one of my friends install a system on his jeep that used the compressor from a '70 AMC Eagle. He got the compressor from a junkyard for $30 so don't buy it from the website. We put a 3 gallon air tank under the floor and used 1/2" hose. At 2000 rpm's it will fill the tank in about 5 seconds to 120 psi and it'll run an impact wrench with no trouble at all (it puts out 10 cfm). The whole project cost about $130 which included an automatic regulator, liquid filled pressure gage in the dash with an on/off switch, air filters on the intake and at the tank, two air lines with quick connects (one under the hood and another on the rear bumper), and the mounting bracket for the compressor. I'm going to install the same system on my truck within a month. The hardest part will be making a bracket to mount the compressor on the engine. It's well worth it though, it'll fill a 35" tire in no time.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A guy I know put an inverter(12 volt to 120 volt)on his rig and bought a tankless 120 volt compressor from wall mart it works great.Airs up tires in no time. Didn't cost a fortune either. Just be sure to get an inverter with enough wattage to power what you need.Plus you can run a blender for a cold frosty one after a long run.

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

did you have ac on your car before? if yes, do you still have the ac?

Knife.

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

GREAT stuff guys thanks!!
    No AC on my rig, so definitally a 'from scratch' deal!
    It seams that the belt drivin pumps (converted AC) are the most powerful and quickest way to go! I would have a hard time droping 250 bucks for a QuickAir2, and thats just for the pump, no line, no chucks, nothing.....................
    ANy more info out there please share!!!
    Thanks again

OH, jcg, when you get your K5 figured out could you share the deatils with me?? Thanks that would be AWSOME!!

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

No problem. I should have my scanner working again by then, or better yet a digital camera so I'll post lots of pics. If I come up with a really good idea for a bracket I'll post drawings too.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy