Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On-board air?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I was wondering what it takes to make an on-board air system work in a 1987 Gmc Jimmy(fullsize). I was told that you will need a york compressor, which would work best. what else will i need? The vehicle has A/C could i run the air system through that.Or if not will i have to take the a/c compressor of rendering my a/c not functionable?Please share any knowledge that you know that could help me.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifThanks, Marshall /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/31"s

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You cant run it through you a/c system, because you would put all you freon in you tires. You have two options, one remove your a/c and put the compressor there, or two mount the york compressor somewhere else so that way you can have both.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

4. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

has anyone done this one before? i'm sure people have, but what kind of bracket did you use, or fab up? pics would be helpful as i already have the york and control box too

5. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

what is a good york compressor(model)? I was told that a model 210 is a good one.Which is better Long stroke, short stroke or medium stoke?Does the discharge direction matter?
    Thanks for any help provided.

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/31"S

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Did you read the article Triaged linked for you? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Answers: Long stroke is better because it moves more air per cycle. Discharge doesn't matter - just hook it up accordingly. Article also tells you how to identify the long, medium, and short stroke compressors.

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You want the last 3's to be either 210R or 210L. Discharge side doesnt matter.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

He has a 87...onboardair.com makes a bracket for that motor. If you have something else (non-serpentine belt) you will have to make your own bracket...or find one (like I did) for a SBC in the junkyard (you are not likely to find one...I got it out of a 73 p/u with dealer installed air)..

9. 85burban

85burban Newbie

yeah, York 210's are the most saught after. they do make 212's but are rare and expensive. there is 206,208,210, and 212. basically the last set of numbers is its volume of air it pushes 6cfm, 8cfm... 210's can be found at junkyards for cheap.

www.onboardair.com is a great site. I installed a OBA system on my Jeep

MY OBA setup.

since you have a lot of room for a tank, I suggest a bigger tank. anyquestions, just email me. tj@getitup4x4.com

I have a list of parts and prices on there. I did a lot of research to find the cheapest things.

I'm not sure if you have serpentine or v-groove clutch, but the serpentine clutch is rare and $100 new. you can convert the v-groove to a serpentine one, like I did on my site.

It is a sweet mod that really helps.

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Somewhere I read the stock sanderson compressor makes a good one too. Someone modifies it with a grease zerk to lube it so you don't have to get a seperator Has anyone ever done the sanderson compressor to air compressor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif