Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On board Hot Water

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Feb 18, 2003.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Who has it and how did you rig yours up. I started working on one awhile back modeling it after one I saw on pirate, 2.5" copper tube and supposedly it has 3/8 inside it. well I have a piece of 2.5" copper tube and a roll of 3/8 soft copper tube but I can't seem to get it to roll tight enough to fit. I don't want to go any smaller due to lack of volume.

So how did you build yours?

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well if you get it setup please do a write up. I've wanted a on-board shower for a long time..

Eric

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've gotten various versions to work. shoving the 3/8th into a 2.5" tube is making it very very tight. I think the version your talking about acutally uses sections of tube with elbows. It works well, but you have to tap your radiator. to flood the outer tube.

You can also get by using the same 3/8th tubing with bends, and make a compact, yet somewhat long unit to slip between the engine block and the exhaust manifold. That gets a lot hotter than your coolant system. The only concern there is if you have a mechanical fan. ther'es enough wind moving that the water may not heat up properly, it all depends on how snug you slip it down there. The the tubes tuch the exhaust manifold, the better.

Your next calculation will be temperature control- Your only real source of temperature control will be your water flow- you'll need to get a pump of some sort, either in-line, or submersible. It is probably preferable to use anything that has a magnetic impeller (like a fish tank pump) for maximum reliability.

Another option which I've thought of but never tried is a DC water boiler, used by truckers. Their about 10-15 bucks, but can be wired in much the same way.

I usually only bring 6 gallons of potable water. 3/4th of my wash is just a wipe down with a hot wet towel. Use about 1 liter to wash my hair.

If your thinking about making it pleasureable for your female companions... You betta bring a lot more water! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well I"ve been looking and mildly researching this for awhile now and have seen about 4 different designs, the style I"m going with is like you said the flood style from the radiator, the guys are saying there getting 105 degrees or so but I think that figure is wrong, but somewhere in the neighborhood, depending on the amount of tube you run. the water flow is from a pump mounted onboard, with a connection for your faucet and one for your source water input that u would run into a bucket or a lake. the water would run the opposite direction of the coolant thru the outer tube to preheat and finally on discharge it will be in contact with the hottest water in the flood tube. right now I'm just having a problem with getting this tube thing worked out. hate to go much bigger and don't really want to use 20 elbows in there either, that would be a nightmare if one started leaking. (lots of vibration and shock driving offroad)

well I"ll keep on looking and studing, all input is welcome.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Saw a real trick deal a guy made for his wife to stand on while taking a shower. It was made from mahogany 1x2 slats and would fold up for storage in parallelogram fashion.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

good idea, I hadn't really put a lot of thought into that.

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dude, go to www.blazinobsession.com. snoop around alittle a look under mods or something like that. he has info and pics on the very thing you are looking for. hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

yea I've seen his, this is more the design I was trying to achieve http://home.off-road.com/~dkf/4sale/HeatExchange.jpg

but I think I may have to back down and go with the plastic since I can't figure out how he got that tubing in there..and considering the guy was selling them for $130 I don't think he's going to tell me anymore than he already has.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Also a thought, if I run 3/8 tube, and rig up a test setup with a waterhose is there a way to get an idea of backpressure? or do I just have to have the pump I intend on using and measure amperage with that to get an idea of load?

basically it's to figure out if I can get away with running 3/8 instead of 1/2 line.

Also, anyone have any ideas on an engine driven way to pump water? I've had some thoughts but looking for something fairly small, and inexpensive.

11. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

How have you been trying to bend the 1/2"? What about wrapping it around something like a broom handle? Will it not bend without crushing. I read something about bending material with sand inside to prevent crushing. I don't know just some thoughts.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif74

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well right now I"m trying 3/8, I completely forgot the sand trick I'll try that with a handle, THANX