Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

on board shower, 1/2" line to 3/8" line

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Aug 28, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

on board shower, 1/2\" line to 3/8\" line

ok I should know this but if I run 3/8" line in my exchangeer and 1/2" water hose to that will my pump kill itself with the back pressure? or will this increase the pressure at the shower head?
    thanks also any recomendations on water pumps for this app? is there any kind of phenumatic water pumps?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: on board shower, 1/2\" line to 3/8\" line

it will decrease the preasure. let me change that. it will decrease the volume. you dont want that i am betting...
    pressuer will be boosted, but it wont make up for it if you are like me and like LOTS of water...
    as for your pump yes, it will shorten the life but it depends on how long you use it and how often. it could last just as long if you take short showers.
    i am giving you info from what i see in the fish industry. not the portable shower industry, so somebody correct me if i am wrong.
    (ps i work a lot of ponds so if anyone in the yuma AZ so cali area needs a pond or fish tank let me know...)
    grant

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

what is the wattage of the pump. It might be able to handle it, but i won't tell you for sure without the wattage. you need to add up the pressure head, velocity head, and elevation head (bernouli's law spelled that wrong i am sure). is the tubing rigid like braided steel or just your everyday run of the mill rubber hose? manufacturer's usually put in some safety margin of like 10percent or so i think. without making a sketch and figuring it all out i would say that elevation is going to be minimal so that leaves you with pressure and velocity. the same amount of water must pass through (volumetric flow rate) so in the larger pipe the velocity will be less so the pressure will be more. but you also have to factor in the work done by the pump and the loss due to friction, etc. hope that helps, and i didn't confuse everybody

4. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

JCWhitney has some good water pumps for rv's
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14901&BQ=jcw2
    Mount one of these in a dedicated action packer with your hoses and stuff. Garden hose is fine. The pressure and volume is regulated at the spray nozzle anyway. If you pump from a creek you can shower all day until you run out of gas. If you pump from a 5 gallon bucket you won't.