Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On Board Shower...Who has one? Pros vs. Cons.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DuneRunner, Apr 4, 2003.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody.

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Heat Exchange Shower System.

While on the Jeepers Jamboree last year on the Rubicon I saw 2 or 3 rigs with them. Just currious if anyone here has installed or thought of installing one.

http://www.hotcampshowers.com/new1851.html

http://www.twine4wdshowers.com.au/index.htm

Thanks KEN /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I carry one of the small propane ones with me. You can get them on ebay for about $55. The onboard showers that use the engine are a great idea but I figured it was quite a bit of work involved, so I just got one of the portable propane ones instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

4. DuneRunner

Holy Cow. Thank You!!!

Going to get some matirals tonight!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Its a lot cheaper then the $280-$350 kits...

Thanks for the link. KEN

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Glad you liked the link... I liked his design too and I've got it on my "one of these days..." list
    Looking at the parts required for the setup he has, it would cost way less for it than the $250+ version even if you include the prices for all of the tools required.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey guys I"ve mocked a design similar to his, except I"m doing it with a coil design to progressively heat the water in a reverse flow situation. Anyway problem I'm having is I can't find any ABS in Lubbock. if ya'll find some let me know. I don't really want to have to special order a whole stick for 18"

7. DuneRunner

New thought on this...

Click on the link

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/shower

Much smaller design Copper housing is much safer in my oppinion.
    Less material. Less to go wrong. The one that I roiginally saw was about this size on a Jeep. I had no idea it was this cool... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I saw a Toyota P/U w/ a shower... he had a small pump, ran everything thru a regular faucet so he could adjust temp (said it was too hot!), and what he did for heating the water was wrap his exhaust w/ copper tubing, then soldered it together so it wouldn't rattle. Worked great.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hmmmm... at first I laughed at the idea of a OBS... but considering my gf wont go camping anywhere that doesnt have a shower... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. DuneRunner

Jekbrown-

The girly is a major part of my whole reason for it. The other reason is to see if I can do it. You know after a few days with out a shower only so much under arm deodorant can be put on to try and mask the sweet smell of BO...

I saw this on the Rubicon Trail in Ca. I road co-piolet with a friend. His buddies had one on their jeep it was so sick. He too made a Shower head and nozel even had a soap dish rack thingy. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Maybe this weekend I'll start on my design... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. DuneRunner

Do you know what part of the exhaust system that was wrapped?
    Near the rear/Mid/front?

My Dad and I have been thinking about this and trying to think of different design that could be made. Still working on the sketches. Should be easy enough though. He was suggestion near the radiator. But the exhaust sounds like a good idea. Although the small 18" long copper tubing seems hot enough.

Thanks!

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

We use to have one for camping, it was a gravity feed bag. If you wanted a cool shower you kept it out the sun, if you wanted warm you put it in the sun for a little bit. Find a place to hang it and opent he valve and you get a light watering of about 3 gallons, refill and the next person is ready to go. Very simple and it works. No fun stuff like pumps and heater cores, I know. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

This guy had about 2/3 of his exhaust wrapped! That is why he had to add the faucet so that he could add cold water...it got too hot! Oh, it was wrapped at the front of the exhaust, before the muffler.

14. DuneRunner

Thanks JJ and Poohbair

I thought about the bag route but don't want to worry about the bag getting punktured (sp).

The exhaust rought is a great idea though... Keeping that one in mind...

PEACE OUT! Off to buy some material... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif