Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On board welder? alternater ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Sep 7, 2002.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

who has a welder onboard, brand, and likes/dislikes. What are the alternater specs?? I have a local rebuilder than can build me anything. He put together a 143 amp stock cased unit for me under for 90 bucks, but I wasn't sure if that was gonna work. He says he can still go bigger, just didn't have parts there. the 143 was at 6300 rpm, will never see that!! was 65 amps at 2500. Whats needed??

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I have a mobi-weld on my toyota. The alternator is Delta wound so the RPMs need to be higher than idle to charge the battery. Above idle it works fine. Welding output is controlled by the speed of the alternator. It's a great little machine. I used it to build my shop. I've repaired a coilover for a kid on a banshee. It will weld 5/16 one pass. Mine is not the heaviest there is and requires 3/32 rod. I can't say there is anything I dislike about it except maybe not being able to weld 14ga without blowing the occasional hole, but that could just be me.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

www.pirate4x4.com in their tech section is how to build a mobile welder from parts you can get from NAPA and your local welding supply. That have some good info on alternators that they used.