Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? on dip stick seal on a TH400

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toledo, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

My tranny is leaking around the filler tube.I removed the tube and it has a O ring that appears intact with no problems. What can i do to stop the leak it is pretty bad and i dont have a clue?

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Clean off the crap and replace the O ring. Was the dipstick still bolted in? I have seen where people do not bolt it in with the trans. I had a trans cooler tube leaking that looked like a dipstick seal. I replaced the seal and found the leaking tube dhooooo

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by slider on 12/10/01 10:21 PM.</FONT></P>

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Check the inlet and outlet hard lines to make sure they are not cracked or loose - then look for the BIG RUBBER GROMET that fits into the trans, for the dipstick to seal to. It should fit snug into the hole where the tube is inserted into the trans.

ANYHOW - if that is gone, get a new one - that would be a major leak if it was missing.

Other than that - my only suggestion is to go get a new trans [​IMG], COMPLETE with dip stick!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    Excite @Home SUCKS!
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

OK thanks. The tube was not bolted in. Where should it be bolted in. But it was hard enough to get out that i dont think there is any way that grommet would fit. I bought one of those but it seems like it would not fit.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes you can break the tube trying to fit an o-ring dipstick tube into a non o-ring applciation. (one of those don't ask deals)

Cna't remember how I could visibly tell the difference between the two, but it wasn't a very hard fit with the grommet and right tube.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?