Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? on ORD shackle flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1 FN HI K5, Sep 28, 2002.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Finished the instal of the shackle flip but know my drive line is 3 inches to long. I cant even hook it up.I have been wanting to get a new rear driveline but not just yet oh well. Did anyone else have to do this or am i the onlyone? <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Did you do any other mods at the same time (lift, axle swap, etc.)? I was wondering about this the other day and even posted a question in the ORD forum about it. I got to thinking about the shackle flip for mine and wondered if it would cause the axle to shift forward. The answer I got to my question was basically "no" but that just doesn't seem right. Since you are lowering the rear hanger and not the front, it would have to cause the assembly to rotate down and forward on an arch. I know the pinion will pitch up some but it should also swing the entire housing forward slightly.

Maybe a "Zero Rate" using the 1 1/2" offset would be enough to fix your problem?

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I would also think that it would seem to move the axle forward a bit.

4. 1 FN HI K5

Well i know it move's the axle forward my driveline doesnt fit and just by looking from the side of the truck you can see it.. Im going to put the front drive line on today and drive it to see if it will settle any. My truck has been on jack stands since i broke the tranny at Blazer fest at the end of July.I do recon any body with a bad rear pinion angle to do this mine is alot better now.. <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

5. 1 FN HI K5

All i did was put the flip on and remove two 1/2 inch plates in the spring pack and got rid of that massive 5 1/2 block.And replaced it with a 2 1/2 inch block.. <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do your blocks have a taper? With the flip you ususally have to shim the pinion down. Most blocks have a built in shim. If you put the wedge side at the top short side forward, then it would move the axle forward even more. If you flip them keeping the wedge at the top narrow side rear then it would drop the pinion and move the axle back. If the wedge is at the axle side the it would mostly rotate pinion and very little forward aft shift of the axle.
    I'm running a Stock shaft on a 203 case in stock location. I cut and rotated the pinion down 5 degress. Never had an issue with lenght till I added a couple leafes and the ORD Zero rate. Now I'm a little short.

7. 1 FN HI K5

Thanks for all your input but I have to just buy a new drive line i really wanted the rock sliders first Oh well <font color="red">
    1 FN HI K5 </font color>

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Maybe it has something to do w/ your 12" lift springs? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    I think it wouldn't be that much of a change if you didn't have the lift springs in there. Their extra arch would make any movement magnified.

BTW: I did a axle swap when I put in my shackle flip so I can't tell you how much it moved.

9. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

There's a set of Zero Rates on eBay right now.

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Had no rear driveshaft problem on my 69 when I did the 4" shackle flip. I do have a Rockwell T221 transfer case though, it has a low rear driveshaft output but I doubt that made much of a difference.

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

hey I'll wonder if my drive shaft would cure ya mines to short post your measurments from one u-joint center to the other and we'll see if a trade or sell is at hand cause i need a drive shaft as well.

thanks shawn