Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? on rear tube bumper strength

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, May 6, 2003.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone built/bought a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier? How well does the tube support the weight of the tire and carrier. Changing bumper designs from square to round tube. My existing rear bumper is 2x6 square base w/ a rockstomper hinge. The new bumper base will be 1.5 round .120 wall. I just need to get an idea that will work to support the swing out when fully open. Needs to be strong enough to support a 37" Goodyear.

Here's apic of the front almost done..................
    [​IMG]
    So the rear will look something similiar.

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mine is'nt on a K5, it's on a pickup, but it's made out of 4"x6" rectangle tubing, 1/4" wall. That would handle it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine is'nt on a K5, it's on a pickup, but it's made out of 4"x6" rectangle tubing, 1/4" wall. That would handle it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    mine now is 2x6 and it works fine. I am switching to round though.And it will be 1.5.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    check this out. Here is Tim's bumpers.

http://www.4x4iron.com/default_files/page0050.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

Those are nice, but that's the style I have now.I want the main bumper to be round tube /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif . Unfortunatly, trying to find pics of round tube bumpers with swingouts is kind of hard. Thats why I was hoping someone had one so I could get some insight. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Oh, I didn't fully comprehend your post. Sorry. I thouhgt you were talking about making the carrier itself out of the 1.5" round tube. Not the whole bumper. I don't know about that. Sorry.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just out of curiousity... anyone buy one of these wiz-bang swing away carriers and THEN realize that they can't lift a 150 pound tire 5' in the air to get it on the carrier? LOL!

j

8. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just out of curiousity... anyone buy one of these wiz-bang swing away carriers and THEN realize that they can't lift a 150 pound tire 5' in the air to get it on the carrier? LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifTry lifting one all the way onto the roof rack of a lifted suburban! But, hey, I have yet to actually have to do it, other than the first time I put it up there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Hmm - might have to get a service hoist mounted on the other end of the bumper /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, i always planned on getting or making one of those trick swing away carriers... but recently i have started running 35s on road and 39.5s off... which means I have to drive to a wheelin spot, swap tires and drive offroad then swap back. It takes time, but its better than wasting good tsl rubber on asphault. At any rate, i have pretty much nixt the idea of getting a carrier after experiencing lifting those 39.5s in/out of the bed of my truck. Last time I went to TSF, i literally got them back into the bed by backing up to a big sloped 3' boulder and rolling the tires up that... then up onto the tailgate. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif sorta a PITA... I'll prolly rig up a hoist of some kind when I get the time... or just get a lil utility trailer.

j