Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?? on rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Jan 8, 2001.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am in the market for new rims and tires for my blazer. I have been looking at a set of 44x16.5 boggers on eaton monster truck rims. SMP has a set of the tires mounted on weld wheels for sale. I am interested in buying them, but,,, I am worried about running the aluminum rims. I am NOT careful when wheeling. I seem to have no regaurd for life when i'm bombin around in the woods. what kind of rims do you guys run and do you think I would be alright with his rims? has anybody ever broken an aluminum rim? I do have a tendency to get airborn whenever possable. and yes, I do have a chemical imbalance!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

the chemical imbalance is called K5'ers disease. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it is incurable and will plague you for the rest of your life.

seriously, though, If the aluminum rims scare you that much, just buy the set from Smp, buy a set of steelies somewhere, and sell the aluminums! you might even be able to make some money!

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

On 16.5 you mean width right?16.5 rims suck worse than Monica ,youll lose a tire in seconds.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. bablazer73

the 2 problems I will have are. I would buy them and sell the rims, but There aren't many people that can mount and balance tires that size around here. There is one shop and only 1 tech that will do it for me. I had a hard time getting there when I had my 40's. Also, I would love to stay with 15's, but I do plan on swapping the front axel to a d60 when funds are available. I don't think I can get 15's on a d60. I may be forced to run the 16.5 just to clear the brakes.

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I hope this helps. I used to own a (and please forgive me, K5's are not up for grabs here in the Netherlands) Suziki Vitara (Geo Tracker, Chevrolet Sidekick, whatever name it went under). I had a set of Durall (Aluminium variant) 15" rims on it. I used to beat the living s**t out of it. And on top of that I had an accident with the car. I slammed it at 50mph into the back of a bus. A good 100G+ crash. The 2 front rims mannaged to hit the bus pretty good. Whole front collapsed and the front axle broke to bits.

Bought another Vitara and put the same rims on there. All were in perfect shape. 1 year later my I found my dreamcar. Guy I sold the Vitara to still rides the same rims vere very hard.

"K5 Grand GT in the Netherlands."

6. bablazer73

I talked to some people today and they told me the weld wheels were almost as strong as the steel wheels. but that I could not air down the tires cause they will slide off the bead! 16.5 rims don't have the extra bead lip on the inside of rim.