Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On Road Tire PSI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Dec 14, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I run 38 by 15.50 PJ Dirtgrips on 16 inch wheels. I have a six inch Rancho spring pack up front, and shackle flip and Rancho 2 inch springs out back. I also have a 15,000 lb. winch mounted btwn my frame rails. This rig is beating the snot out of me on the road. I dont want to have to spend the money on new springs right now, so I figured, if I lower the PSI (within safe limits) my tires would absorb some of the beating my rear end is taking. Tires say 35 to 60 lbs, I believe, but, ive been running them at 25 lbs with fairly good results. How low can I go before its unsafe for the road? thanks.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run my iroks at 23psi on the street 10-12psi on the trail and 6-8psi in the sand

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I run my Q78's between 19-23 on the street, last trip out i ran them at 9psi all day, i should have gone lower.

4. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I Run Mine Around 30 On The Street I Had Them Lower Around 22 And The Truck Was Really Bouncy (35/12.5/15)

5. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i run my 38's at 10 psi on the street and trails

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Bouncy I can live with. Backbreaking I cannot. Im gonna try 22 PSI. Anyone else?

7. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

Im Sure 22 Wont Be Too Low At All Just Depends On The Ride U Want. Ask U For A Favor? K5 Chris On Technical Post Has A Question On Alignment And I Would Really Like Too Help Him Out Since I Had The Exact Problem And Now Its Fixed, But Im Not A Member Yet So I Cant Reply On That Thread . Thanks K5high

8. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have run into the same problems you are before. What I ran was around 25psi in the rear and 27 to 30psi in the front of my f250. I found that these presures were the best of both worlds for me. I did tow a trailer that weighed about 10,000# a few times with these presures without much trouble but all of the trips were short trips, under 30 miles.

I would take some chalk or cheap paint and make a line across your tires then drive slowly forward and let the line transfer to the ground and see how much of the tread pattern is touching the ground. Air up or down depending on what the tread patern on the street tells you. I think that you will find that the larger the tire the less air it needs in it to put a nice foot print down.

I ran into a guy in Moab during Easter Jeep one time that had 44" TSLs on a toyota pickup and he had removed the valve stems and the tires were barely even bulging. He ran this way for a while until the tires broke in and then he said he had to add a few pounds of air to keep them from bulging to much. This was for trail use only.

I doubt you will run into tire heatinig problems. Run them for a good stretch down the road and get out and feel how warm your tires are, if they are hot or warmer than you like add some air. If you don't like the wear pattern after a while adjust however you see fit.

Hope that helps.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Soemthign to watch is how the tires are going to wear at the lower pressures. You wont get as many miles out of them.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Grim had a post a while back about tires pressure and how to get the ideal pressure. It had to do with taking air pressure, then driving and taking it again. It should only differ a small amount when your pressure is right. I'll look for the post.

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status