Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? on shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by rick88blaze, Sep 23, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

a friend of mine has an early '80's dodge 1/2 4x4. He is really interested in doing a shackle flip for it. I don't suppose you would know how much modification it would take to mount your shackle flip on to his dodge.

thanks,

rick

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We put a little time into the dodge shackle flips and the biggest problem we ran into was the early dodge springs are mounted really flat on the frame and dropping the back of the spring by 8" puts it at a pretty drastic angle. That can give you a lot of roll oversteer which basically means it will get really loose in corners.
    You can measure out the springs and see how that angle will end up and the next step would be to measure the spring spacing on the axle and the frame width and compare that to a GM truck. The measurements you have to be concerned with are the distance out from the frame to the center of the spring and the distance from the bottom of the frame to the spring eye. If those are close enough to a GM, you can mess with some of our brackets.
    Hope this helps

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

stephen, thanks i appreciate the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif