Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

on the 72 older trucks, that small black/white strip charging wire..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Apr 9, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, on the 72 older trucks, that small black/white stripe charging wire..

ok on the 72 and older rigs you know that small guage wire that is black with white stripe.. and has the fuse in it at both front corners of the front clip..

well i need to know where exactly it goes to from the battery and if i need to reconnect it to battery since i have now converted to internally regulated alternator- from the original externally regulated alternator

i think the wire goes to other side of ammeter in dash ?

no ?

thanks

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just pulled mine out completly. I'm not that big of a fan of ammeters anyways. At least GM used only a portion of the current for the gage. Dodge put ALL the current the truck would use to the gage.

IIRC one goes from the alt output and the fuse is on the driver side and the other goes over the core support to the battery pos and the fues is on the passanger side. If you need more I might be able to take a pic of the wire diagram for you. It is in the factory service manual.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i just trying to find out out if the fuse on both corners of truck is in the same exact wire, i cant tell for sure with the harness all taped up across the rad support top

i have the pass side one connected to hot red wires off the alt, and the driver side one connected to battery + post terminal

would that be ok ?

ammeter will move a little towards discharge side of guage when i turn headlamps on(with truck and everything else off)

and then will return to center when i turn lights off again

sound right ?

thanks