Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On to starter #3

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 3, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Since I put the new SB400 motor in the blue Blazer, I had the original starter that was in it go out (bushing in the nose cone). I put a new (well, used, but low usage) starter in it. Worked perfectly. Now, a month later, it gave out. Same problem, the bushing wore out.

So, I'm on starter #3, another used one I found in the garage. Spins over, as quiet as can be now.

I should probably run a starter brace on this one, to be safe.

Anyone had starters just drop left and right?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my friend kept breaking nose cones off. hes on starter #4 in 2 months and its holding together, for now. these were remaned starters

ive gone through 3 starter in 2 weeks before, they were used starters. first one locked up (sticking mud) second one the nose cone broke and the third the solenoid went to [censored]. i finely got a good one though.

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I kept burning them up...when my Alt. was going out...it would surge real bad...somehow I went thru like 2 or 3 in a few months...b4 I realised I needed a new alt /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif now its had the same starter for 3+ years /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I went thru 8 starters from the same problem. Made my own starter brace and I'm on the same one for a yr now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I did when i put my first 496 in........note to all users, brand new, moderate compression big blocks, cant be started w/ lifetime warranty pepboys starters. Now i have a Powermaster gear reduction on there.....spins it over like a champ. The pepboys would barely budge it, and after starting it once or twice would just sit there and buzz.....

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Happened o me when I put the crate motor in. I burned up 2 high torque mini starters during the break in period but had it rebuilt localla at the time and has been on for over a year now with no problems as of yet.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im on #4... got it down to 16 minutes start to finish, and im blaming my headers

8. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i've been through six in the last 8 or so months first i thought it was the headders then i took the inspection cover off and saw the condition of my flex plate!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif