Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

On vacation and need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prjt_blzr, Nov 19, 2001.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm 1500 miles from home and my little brother calls for help on his Ford. He has an 80's F250 and needs to replace the front axleshaft ujoints. Since I don't have my manuals and I haven't seen the better idea of a ford front independent axle I'm hoping that some one here knows how to pull the inner stub shafts from the front axle. He said that the short side came right out of the differential but that the long side is not moving. Does anyone have an idea of how to get this stub axle out?? If you need more info, I won't be back on line until tuesday so please be patient.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

There are three bolts that hold the retainer plate to the axel housing, make sure those bolts are removed. If they are out and it still won't budge then the shaft is stuck. et a slide hammer and give it a yank and it should come out. (providing you have all the outer guts out already)

All of my books say on 80 and above to just remove those three bolts and it should come out..

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Some may have a C Clip, have to open the diff. to remove !
    Good luck

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The Ranger and Bronco II had a c clip, the 80 and newer 250's did not. (according to Chiltons truck and van repair manual, 1979-1986, part number 7655) sew them if it is wrong....LOL

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys!! I knew that some one here would have the info even if it wasn't a chevy. I will have my brother check for the retainer with three bolts. Hopefully that is it else as the diff does not have a cover. It is bolted to the IFS stuff and will be a bear to get to if it the 'C' clip style. So much for a better idea.
    Thanks agian everyone for the help.
    Mike