Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? on welding spider gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ScoobyDann, Aug 30, 2001.

1. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    ok, I got the carrier out and i'm going to take it tomarrow to get the spider gears welded. my ? is when he welds it is he going to have to take the case apart and weld "inside" the carrier, or is he goig to weld the spider gears he can see with out opening it up. im asking this cause I have no clue and I want to make sure he does it right. oh yea, it a 14ff

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You weld what you can see. If I am not mistaken I dont think you can take the carrier apart. The carrier should be one piece.I know you cant take them apart on the 10 bolt, 12 bolt, and the 14 bolt SF. Not sure on the FF.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

14 FF has a 2 piece carrier

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I did this with a little advice from TrustyK5. What I did was take out the spider gears out of the two piece carrier after seperating the two halves. If you look at how the spider gears mesh in the carrier youll see that if you fill in 4 voids of the gears then you will not allow the spider gears to rotate against each other. Essentially you have locked them together but they are not welded to each other. Its by far the easiest way and mine has lasted for almost 2000 miles with no problems and I think Rene's has lasted over 10000. But basically youll fill in a void, skip two, fill in another, skip one, fill in another, skip two and fill in another. Four voids in all on each spider gear. Any more questions just ask Rene cause Im sure hed be better at explaining it.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 14FF has a two piece case that can be split in half by taking out the ring gear bolts.

On mine, there was no welding done on the actually case. I essentially made a "mini-spool" type setup by welding the spiders to the side gears, basically making the spiders, side gears, and cross one big piece. The advantage to not welding anything to the case is that if you decide you don't like it, you can just pull the welded piece out and drop in another set of spiders and side gears or a Detroit Locker.

The procedure I used was to split the case. I then laid one side of the case on the bench and set the side gear down in it, and then the cross with 4 spiders on it (like you were assembling it back together) and they were tack welded. I then set the other side of the case up with the other side gear, then set the cross and spiders (now with the other side gear attached) down and tack welded that side. This makes sure the gears are lined up correctly and will fit inside the case. I also put the two case halves together with the newly welded pieces to double-check for correct fit. After everything looked okay, the case was split again and the welded gears were pulled out and fully welded (this keeps from getting a bunch of weld splatter on the bearings or ring gear). Every spot where the gears touched each other were fully welded.

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i would do it the way descibed by Blueblazer62 and TrustyK5.
    you only weld on the spiders and/or sides gears filling the voids similar to these gears done by wayne foster that JO-JO at island4x4.com. these look like a 2 spider gear setup so more is filled then would be for a 4 spider setup.
    http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/As/Ed/gg/Ls13741.jpg
    someone should shoot some photos of a 14bolt done this way.
    TrustyK5 was saying that he did both spiders and sides but i dont think it is necessary. island4x4.com keeps promising a full article on this wonder if it is up yet?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Actually there are 4 spiders and two side gears in a 14 bolt. I just did the 4 spiders...

Those pics you just linked was why i did mine that way. I read the article and remembered it...thought I'd try it out on my 14.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i must have misunderstood you last time this came up. i guess you were telling me you did the spiders instead of the sides.
    have you had it apart to see if there is any wear on the side gears? just wondering if you could leave them in if you decided you wanted it open again or would it be mandatory to change out all 6 gears. some 2 spider difs with the huge windows in the carrier could go from locked to open in under a half hour just by swapping unmodified sides or spiders in.

9. tRustyK5

I will have it apart again somewhat soon. I'm curious myself after 13,000 miles. With the 14 bolt there is only one way to re&amp;re the spiders and that is to remove and split the carrier, then reverse the procedure with unmodified spiders. Prolly two hours tops after you've done it a few times...too much bother for me.

Rene

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

So we didn't weld mine up right? We just welded the gears and not the carrier. it is a 4 series carrier and I didn't want to ruin it.

Mike

<font color=green>"My K5 is purdyr than your sister!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

11. tRustyK5

Yers will be fine...As long as you didn't weld the gears to the carrier you should be OK.

Rene