Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

....on welding spring perches. ? for those wheo have done it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 19, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The next step in getting my D70 ready for install is rewelding the spring perches. When I weld them back on, should I lay a series of short welds alternating locations so as to avoid excessive warpage of the tubes, or would it be ok to lat a continuous bead at each side of the perch. Also, when you who have done it, did it, how did you go about measuring for the new perch locations. Should I use the WMS as a "base point" and measure inboard appropriately for each perch? Should I mark the current locations of the perches and measure from those? I am going to do a shackle flip with ford 57's, should I keep the pinion angle the same as before, or is there reason to mess with it?

Spew your knowledge upon me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what was told to me and the method I like is to put the axle in and then weld. Namely, do some rough measuring and takc them in place lightly then install the axle. Break the tacks, located the axle well, set your pinion angle then weld them thoroughly in place. As for the warpage issue, tubes are thick I wouldn't worry but I'd probably do it in 4 parts. Weld half of one side. Do half of the other and so on.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've done it a couple times now. Just this past weekend for a friend. Slide the axle under and measure off a repeatable point on the inside of your brake backing plate or caliper bracket or whatever you have to the outside edge of the leaf spring. Do this on both sides several times. Set up your pinion angle the way you want it and tack the spring perches in place. Then you can do it right there or pull it back out and weld it. Never warped a tube yet. Not to say that it can't be done. I do each perch in 4 welds as stated earlier. Start on the top and weld down and out.