Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

onboard air poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Sep 26, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What would you do?

I have all the parts necessary except for brackets for mounting the pump to run onboard air. Or I could still do the CO2. Decisions decisions.

Each has distinct advantages and disadvantages so its a hard decision for me.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm right there with ya man. I have tank, york and most fittings. Just need to mount and plumb. Bracket is close. Have thought about C02 also

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I went with the York 'cause I had the stuff and its been fine for me.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I voted CO2, but in all honesty I don't know much about the York onboard air setup.

Will your setup have a tank so that the truck won't have to be running to use the air?

Unless the brackets are super expensive to get, it would probably make more sense to go ahead and do the York setup.

5. cybrfire

I guess the brackets only cost what you get in steel. Everybodys that I know are a custom made bracket. There would be a storage tank but it's pretty short lived for any kind of work.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I voted york, because thats what I am going to use.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have had a CO2 setup since I started wheeling.When it comes to the speed of filling tires,no compressor I have seen can beat CO2.You can fill alot of tires and run air tools for a decent amount of time on one tank.Its not an endless supply with CO2 but I have never run out on the trail.

I have had a complete York system put together now for a few years but Im too happy with CO2 to spend the time to put it on the truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

no compressor should your engine be the area that needs repair.

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I'm a little biased toward the York OBA system...
    "cough, a-hem"
    on board air system article

I have had this setup for several years now and really appreciate having it. Runs all day, never runs out.

Of course, this sometimes means that I become the "Air Truck" and the end of the day though.

And on the storage tank, I have an eight gallon tank. I do believe, when changes are made to my rig, I probably will not even run a storage tank. The York makes plenty of air to run air tools without it.

[ QUOTE ]
    no compressor should your engine be the area that needs repair

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be the ONLY drawback of the York. But, if my engine is not running, I probably won't need to use air tools anyway.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I am going to put a York on mine, but I am also considering using a CO2 tank for time when the engine is down, or when I need to carry the air supply to the job.

11. cybrfire

Nice write up you did on the york install. I have to make up mounting for an alternator, powersteering pump and a york. My selection of engine accessories is kind of odd but there is a method to the madness. I'll give them a call but I'm doubting that they have brackets set up for a cadillac motor especially when I'm having to custom mount everything anyway.

12. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to put a York on mine, but I am also considering using a CO2 tank for time when the engine is down, or when I need to carry the air supply to the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring extra hoses... They're cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have to make up mounting for an alternator, powersteering pump and a york.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the man! The custom fab man!

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

every Caddy I have seen has an alternator, a power steering pump, and an AC compressor.
    why are you fabbing ANY brackets??
    York can't be that great a compressor as they are not in use on too many vehicles

15. cybrfire

This one did have all those accessories. The alternator I'm using is a Lestek. It's a monster thats capable of putting out 200 plus amps at idle. Its also a dual output alternator that uses and external regulator. Nice part about those is you can use one output for your vehicle needs and another output for an onboard welder. It's basically like two alternators in one. The powersteering pump I'm using doesn't have a resevoir on it. Works better for full hydro steering.

I think one reason they don't use yorks so much these days is do to the fact that engine compartments are getting quite cramped and if you can use the freon to lube the compressor why have an oil resevoir in it. Dump the resevoir and make it consume less space. I'm sure it also has to do with cost to produce the york. It's a big heavy old bugger.

16. FWP

FWP CRS

I'll never go back to CO2, what a pain in the.... and the cost/ effort to go fill it up all the time. annoying. My .02

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just finished mine about a month ago and I'm using a york. IMO CO2 is a pita. With my york, all I have to do is flip a switch and my 10 gallons of air is there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif