Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard Air using GM log style compressor.... how many don't run oilers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Onboard Air using GM log style compressor.... how many don\'t run oilers?

I scored a brand new GM log style compressor, its the long one. Full bracketry and flange. I'm going to use this for onboard air. I've got all the components lined out and I'm just looking to see how many of you run this type of compressor and do NOT run in-line oilers in front of it.

Do you just add a few drops of oil before a planned run?
    If so, have you had any problems with the compressor after heavy use? Thanks in advance....

2. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

Re: Onboard Air using GM log style compressor.... how many don\'t run oilers?

I'm certainly no expert, but everyone I know that has used a compressor like that has sprayed a shot of pneumatic tool oil in the intake side just before using it. The same sort you would use on an impact gun. I know those type of compressors get their lubrication from the refrigerant, that's why most people like the York compressors for onboard air. They are self oiling with an internal reservoir. I have a York myself, I just haven't found the bracketry to hook it up yet. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

when u go to a york, is usually when the fabricating skills come in

NITRO

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I used the oiler before and swithable de-oiler after. The compressor works great, way better than any ARB noisy thing...anyhow, I've never run it without the oiler, but from everything I've read, here and in magizines, it is not recommended. I remember an article in a mag a few years back that was doing it, but they just hooked it up and ran it, but did say if they planned on using it on the truck permenently, they would add the oiler.

BlazerMan

5. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This thread has not been seen for some time now so I thought I'd revise it.
    Anyone who has the old log style compressors converted could you show me some picture as to how you did it, things to look for, oilers[if necessary].
    I finally decided to do away with the A/C and want to convert it.

6. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner