Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard Air????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cbbr, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am looking at options for onboard air.

How do you mount/power an a/c compressor (york?) on a Chevy 350 with the serpentine belt system without removing the stock a/c. I want to keep the a/c. Has anyone mounted one? What do you drive it off of? Pictures would be great.

I have a 6 1/2 gallon tank with a presure switch and plenty of room to mount it, so I am also considering a compressor. Anyone use one? How fast can you air up 35's?

I have looked at tanks, but decided that I want to have unlimited air. :1zhelp: :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

pump info

:cool1: www.onboardair.com thay have the info and the parts and kits to do this with the york pumps

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have a little air pump that was in the truck when i got it. it was wired wrong but would still fill a 60inch tractor tire in about 14 minutes.:D all under the hood. i see that the air tank that 4 wheel parts has is $441.00. i have two old scuba tanks that hold way more air, i just need to see what valve they use??? sorry man i'm no help.:)

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The set up that Oasis air runs is a breeze to build yourselve if you can get the winch motor

5. cbbr

What type/brand/size pump. I have an air tank (6 1/2 gallon, 200 PSI max) that fits, I just need to be able to air it up.

6. cbbr

You have lost me completely. Its really not hard to do. A winch motor???

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Have you done this?

I have a similar project in progress, and it isn't quite that easy. Those A/C compressors have a tapered crank with a key. Easiest way to couple to them that I've found is to disassemble the mag clutch for it's drive hub.
    This is a Subaru starter coupled to a Chrysler A/C compressor. Yes, I know it's not a constant duty motor, part of the experiment is to see how long the starter motor lasts.

[​IMG]

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

To do an electrically driven compressor using one of the A/C compressors it is prefered to use a constant duty motor. The best known source for those are winch motors.

If that's not what you want to do, the link posted above has lots of good info. Kilby can probbaly come up with the parts if they don't already have them as a kit.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Air comp.

Just like the one pictured I used a winch motor and built a shaft to connect to the York commpressor and I still have to build a bracket to hold it all together going to look just like the Oasis when I get around to finishing it. I got a air tank from a semi that I'm planning on mounting somewhere on the truck. When I first designed the truck I wanted to have a/c so thats why I wanted somthing other then engine mounted. I saw the Oasis design and got the parts and went from there. The benifits are its somewhat portable and you don't have to run you engine to make it work, just need battery power.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Kilby enterprises sells the bracket kit you need to mount a York compressor on a vehicle that is pre 96 with the serpentine belt system. I bought one of their bracket kits and installed it on my 89 blazer. Works great and was easy to mount, the only down side to it is that now it is a bitch to get the power steering cap off to check fluid levels. I am going to cure that problem someday by adding a piece to the neck of the pump and then adding a remote resavoir and mounting it to the fender well somewhere. I think i paid $175.00 for the bracket kit a couple years ago and i'm sure they are more now. It is a little pricey but then again what's your time worth to source out the materials and then figure out how to build your own bracket? Kilby also sells the serpentine clutch/pulley if your York is still a V-belt type.

11. cbbr

I'm starting to think that Kilby is the way to go. I just need to find a york. Anything to look for in particular? Anynything that I specifically should avoid?

12. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just make sure the clutch works and the compressor compresses :D Check out the article in the tech section of the site. Also, you want the long stroke compressor. The easiest way to tell what displacement it is is to remove the pulley and look at the end of the crankshaft, but the article will explain all that.

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

is there a web site for kilby?

14. mikey_d05

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i knew about that one, i was asking about the kilby one

thanks tho

16. mikey_d05

that is the kilby one

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh crap diddent notice sorry

i thought the company was called onboardair

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dangit now im thinkin again, 530 for the compressor kit and be done, or 150-200 for the co2 and have to fill it all the time,

tough decision

19. mikey_d05

Timeout big shooter, check out e-bay or your local yard for the compressor first. A good compressor and clutch can be had for significantly cheaper than they sell one for. I just got a large displacement York off of e-bay for $40. It has a v-groove clutch but that can either be replaced or dealt with. If you want to save yourself a headache, you could just buy the bracket kit and do everything else yourself. The bracket kit is $175 but you could piece together the rest of the system for significantly cheaper than they sell it.

20. cbbr

Thats what I have been doing. You can actually get the compressor (reman) from autozone for about $160 which isn't really cheap, but its closer. I checked the website today out of curiosity. Looks like I will be heading to the junk yard soon.

I was thinking about a 12v compressor, but there don't seem to be many good options for any less than the York setup.