Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard air

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 27, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just came to a realization yesterday. I don't really NEED to convert an A/C compressor to use for air. I mean how often will I really NEED to use air tools on the trail. For no more than it happens, I can use a 4-way and socket set for trail repairs. So now I just need a compressor for airing up the tires and thats it. What about the QuickAir 2 electric one??? Anyone used this one? I just think an electric one would make for an easier, cleaner installation and take up alot less space.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

May be cleaner, but which is cooler??? Nothin beats being to air up all 4 35's in under 5 minutes.. try that with a little electric one... Besides the option of helping others on the trail is nice too... with on board air the possibilities are endless...

[​IMG]See me at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm>http://www.inhomenetworking.com/78jimmy.htm</A>

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You make a really good point about the air tools, and I used to feel the same way. But, after experiencing how much faster and easier trail repairs go with air tools, I'm real glad I can run em'. Running a die grinder is a heck of a lot faster than using a hacksaw. You may never need air tools on the trail, but consider this: If your onboard air setup supplies enough air to run air tools, then that means it also fills tires quite a bit faster too. And, it could supply enough air to re-set a bead if you need it to. The quick air setup should work ok, but I would run a reserve tank with it instead of just the compressor. You could also run a Power Tank, or make one. That would be another option. Just a few things to think about.

BIGJ

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

i would like to know how to change my ac pump over to an air compressor. do you got anything on how to do this?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do a search on the topic. There were alot of posts obout this within the last month.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

6. 454Blazer

454Blazer Registered Member

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.europa.com/~bateman/jeep/78cj5/mods/air/schem.gif>http://home.europa.com/~bateman/jeep/78cj5/mods/air/schem.gif</A>

For the extreme lazy

8. 454Blazer

454Blazer Registered Member

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have a co2 tank that I can mount in my truck when I go wheelin.It holds 1200lbs of co2.It will air up tires run air tools and it lasts quite a while.Its a small tank,28" tall by 9" in diameter.

All work and no play makes Frizz a dull boy.