Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Onboard Air

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Mar 19, 2006.

?

Which Onboard Air System Is Best.

1. York

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. High End 12 Volt System

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Enough With These On Board Air Questions Already!

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. I am Nekkid and hung over.

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Can not decide on what to do, go with a York setup, or with a high end 12volt sytem. Will be running 2 ARB's and airing up tires. I do not like to wait around for the compressor. I have a 10 gallon airtank installed also. I have been debating on what to do for a week and a half. Really would like some good input on this one. This could end up being a costly mistake if I go with the wrong option.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I voted York, and you can read my reply in your other post.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Like my winch, I like my air to work if the motor won't start. Might need air tools or to scare off some crows, or something. Um, yeah. OK, I am nekkid and drunk!

4. plowboy77

plowboy77 Registered Member

York

I put a York compressor on a service truck I built to do double duty around the farm and on the trail. Setup works well enough to air up tractor tires, run air tools as well as power the ARB air locker as long as the engine runs. Then again, if the engine won't run, locking your differential won't do you much good anyway!:doah:

Hope that helps!

5. 4X4HIGH

Ok, here it is again.

Originally Posted by broc944
    Yea I know, initially I wanted to keep all the parasites off my engine, hence the reason for a 12v. Money really is not that much of a object, there are pros and cons to both systems in my opinion. The trailhead's biggest is its duty cycle, I also checked out Viair, they seem to have to many problems for my liking. It all boils down to the most dependable system, I can not afford trail breakages of any sort, I want/need the most dependable system out there.

With that being said, since they both are York compressors the only thing to fail on an engine driven York would be the drive belt. The 12v could have the motor go bad, one of the cables, the drive coupler or even the low voltage cutoff protection (switch i'm assuming). Now make your choice. :thinking:

The only pro i see to the 12v is that your engine doesn't need to run but if your engine quits working i doubt you'll be thinking about your compressor for anything. The engine driven York if the pump were to go bad and freeze up and break a belt you could still keep your original serp belt to re-install so you could still drive your rig.

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have made up my mind in thanks to :bow: 4X4HIGH:bow: , I am going with the York, just ordered the 210 (re-manufactured with a 1 year Warranty), will call Kilby Ent. in the morning to order the mount and everything else I need. Not sure why I had such a hard time deciding on this mod, but after thinking about the total reliability picture it was pretty much a no brainer:doah:. CK5 is really the best tool in the toolbox (not to sound sappy or anything).
    Thanks for putting up with this ongoing issue, and your help is greatly appreciated as usual.

7. 4X4HIGH

All i can say is, :thumb: :thumb:

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

None of the above.
    I took my stock '73 Compressor (long style) and turned it into an air compressor.
    Only thing is it's not internally lubed like the York is, but all you do is install an inline oiler on the inlet and a de-oiler on the outlet, plumb the de-oilers resevoir into the oilers, and your all set. Ran that way for 2-3 years, no problems at all. Got the idea from a late-90's 4Wheel&Offorad writeup.

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Thats what I am currently running, it is not fast enough for me, and the constant oil blow through is a PITA.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will love the york set up. Simple, fast and reliable.

11. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Why you mofo's payin for re-manned Yorks? I could walk out of my local pick-n-pull with 20 of them, or more if I wanted. They charge about $25 each, I think. I usually grab one after I've got all the other stuff I want, just 'cause they're there. I saw one this weekend factory mounted to a V8 in a '79 (I think) Ford pickup. I shoulda grabbed the bracket to sell to some ford guy. :doah:

I understand the want for a re-manned York for reliability reasons, as well as the warranty. But with them so plentiful, go j/y shoppin! I have not heard of any York failing, tho' I'm sure it happens.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine was about $40 at the local yard. Tested the clutch before I bought it and have hd no problems since.

13. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I bought a reman for two reasons, I needed a serp clutch, which this one comes with, and I wanted to be certain on the condition of the compressor. I'm a HVAC Tech, I know far to well what happens to compressors. (I personally would never reuse a compressor that possibly could have been open to the atmosphere). As I posted originally, I need a reliable system, and I am more then willing to pay for it. This not to say this reman I bought could not fail, the odds are on my side though.

14. 4X4HIGH

I agree with you on the open to the atmosphere reasoning, but that is when you're using it for an A/C unit. When you use a York for OBA it is always open to the atomsphere so it doesn't matter. I myself grabbed my York from the pick-n-pull for $25.00 and haven't had any trouble thus far. No matter what you do for purchasing the York make sure you do the oil passage plug trick or you will end up with oil in the output line. You can always run a coalescing filter but you will still need to keep an eye on the oil level of the compressor.

15. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

What is the oil plug trick?

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :bow: :haha: :bow:

17. 4X4HIGH

Ok, so i'm confused about your smilies. Are you agreeing with me or doubting me? If you're doubting me then i'll give the explanation.

18. plowboy77

19. 4X4HIGH

Thanks, but i know what the trick is, it was broc944 that wanted to know.

20. plowboy77

Oops, I guess I should pay attention to who is asking the questions!:o
    Well, now everyone knows!